360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I wonder how long a flotilla of yachts could remain “assembled” over that distance
That would be 750nm with a lot of excursions included.

There is a sail boat race called the VanIsle360. (Van Isle 360 | Van Isle 360 International Yacht Race) It is listed as 534nm. 15 days of constant sailing.

Not everyone can get away for an extended period, that is why this flotilla is about joining and adventuring. You can sail with us for a while. Come aboard and crew for awhile. Drive from stop to stop and just hangout with the crew at a local pub for awhile. Or just watch from the comfort of your favorite couch.

Think of it as:
iu.jpeg
For Sailors.

Oct 22, 2014
I have heard it is like a roller coaster ride.
All into the wind up hill on the East side where you can stop frequently at local pubs and take a break. Then all down hill with the wind and swell of the Pacific as you coast back towards Victoria and the finish.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That sounds so cool. You guys on the coasts have so much opportunity to really sail!
I remember reading about a similar cruise in a recent issue of Sail magazine.
I think this is it:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
That sounds so cool. You guys on the coasts have so much opportunity to really sail!
True! We are so blessed by the area we live in. I've been fortunate to have been sailing here for 65 years and still read stories about places I've not seen yet.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It appears that one can attempt to “ride” the ebb through Seymour Narrows (departing Campbell River) up to Johnstone Strait, thence to Alert Bay or Port McNeil, then finally to Port Hardy for the jump-off point around Cape Scott. Or, “meander” ones way up through Yaculta & Dent rapids and protected waters, etc., and pop out into the Strait somewhere near Port Neville, and then on to Alert Bay, or similar. Those two routes would likely differ significantly in the amount of time that might be expended (excursions). Once around, or going around, however, it would seem easier to travel as a group, I think. Everybody blowing downwind together to the next harbour, etc.(?) Kinda like the Baja HaHa.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
“meander”
Always happy to meander. The rapids are never a problem, just means you go when the tide says go. Johnstone has never been my favourite way to go, it's a long slog to any sheltered stops though it can be good sailing ( lots of southerlys this past summer)

Oct 22, 2014
Everybody blowing downwind together to the next harbour,
Now That would be a sight to behold. Think of the photo op. SBO pennants flying

Last summers Southerly's were a sailors blessing.:cool:

Perhaps the wind gods will treat us to the same. Will have to remember to spill a bit of rum for them.;)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Many times on our return south, but never tried the leg north through Seymore, Discovery and Johnstone due to the prevailing NW winds. Always did the inside part through Lewis, Yuclata, Dent, Cordero, Greene Point, etc.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have a buddy that has made the trip to Alaska several times and his preferred route is up the inside and then either 1 stop or nonstop back on the outside. He heads offshore on a deep reach that keeps his Asymmetrical spinnaker happy until he gets to the lay-line for the entrance to the straight and jibes back in. He finds that the sailing is better with less weather trouble off shore outside the continental shelf. He also does deliveries down the coast to CA or Mexico the same way. Of course then you miss all of those pubs. :beer:

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I’ve spent many many days (fishing) and nights (drifting) 20-100 miles off Washington, except for the equinox weather isn’t all that bad.

Oct 22, 2014
John how many boats have signed up so far?
That is a great query. Have not formalized the project nor started a signup.

Loosely interested 4 boats at least up the East side. At least 2 confirmed down the West side. I have heard from several individuals who want to ride along on a boat for 2 plus weeks for a part of the trip. Once I complete the routing we will step up the recruiting.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
That's great we'll join at Campbell River area for the rest of the passage. We can talk at Roche in May hope Les and Stu are going.

Oct 22, 2014
Well I got my bet in on when the La Vagabonde should arrive in Spain. A total SWAG. And I have identified that I eat a simple meal aboard the S/V Hadley. Meal planning/provisioning is going to take some thinking.

I am well on my way to outfitting SV Hadley for the 2020 trip. A new Suite of sails are in process - Genoa and Gennaker. The engine is undergoing maintenance. The second Fuel tank will be cleaned this December so I can help my fellow travelers by carrying 80 gal clean diesel as reserve. Looking at adding another battery to the boats box. Bringing the AmpHours up to 405. Still looking at refrigeration, storage, and completing the install of the Stove. There is still time. Or we may have to join with our neighbors for a hot meal.

I have the first 12 legs drafted taking us up the East side of Vancouver Isle. I'll include them over the next couple of posts as there is a SBO limit to how big of a file I can attach at one time.

Initially the Draft Plan has us beginning in Victoria BC on the 15th. I plan to arrive in Victoria on the 13th or 14th of June. Sign into Canada and catch a slip for the night. Have a proper Beginning the Adventure Dinner the evening of the 14th and start off on the journey the morning of the 15 June 2020.

The first leg will take us around the South East corner of Vancouver Isle. Through some popular Orca habitat. Up the West side of Haro Strait to Sidney.

As beginning points go for this Adventure, Victoria and Sidney are great. The Victoria International Airport is located just north for Victoria with shuttle buses to downtown and on the west side of the Sidney city limits. Sidney is a stop point for the BC and WSDOT ferry systems. This gives crew members a variety of options to plan to join up.

Our next leg will either be as plotted (on the chart # 2) to Saturna Island, alternates are Provost Isl. or Ganges Harbor on Salt Springs. I am open to all considerations. I love all 3 of these options.

As you can gather this is an open drafted plan. Some jumps are structured others are open for consideration.

I hope if you have an interest your will share your thoughts.
John
S/V Hadley

Attachments

Apr 5, 2009
Have you been through that rock patch SE of Cadboro Point? I only went near there once on my first trip to the Sailish Sea on a Charter boat and that looked ugly enough that I went around. Of course, that was before chart plotters. ;)

Oct 22, 2014
Great question Hayden. Yes I have been through there several times. All were in blue skys, 20 mile viability and relatively calm seas. Baynes Channel has a couple of tricky spots and and currents to be cautious of but that is an issue with all of the island passages. If there is poor viability I'd take the outside around Discovery Island route every time. It probably saves you an hour cutting thru the Mayor and Baynes Channels.

Besides it is a pretty route.

Apr 5, 2009
That is what I thought back in 1993 when I was down there. That day, it was just as you describe with blue skys and flat calm but with just paper charts and ded- reckoning on a chartered boat and the first time navigating in the big salty place, I opted for the long way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.