360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This is the official site to join, discuss, or suggest ideas for our 2020 cruise to Circumnavigate Vancouver Island.

The Plan
Cruise around Vancouver Island in 45 to 60 days. Having heard that all good voyages start and end out of Victoria that sounds like a great place to start the voyage. We could have a special meal together and then jump on the boats and head out of the harbor and turn left.
Our idea is to sail/power about 25-35 nm a day. This gives us time to get to an anchorage or marina early in the day and explore the local area. Stopping in places for more than one night so visiting crew can come and join the boats, Boat members can enjoy the local attractions and we can restock the cupboards of the boats.

Route.
Pretty simple.:p Cruise up the East side of the island. Get to the north end.:yikes: Turn left, and repeat on the west side, till we get back to Victoria. :clap: Celebrate.:biggrin:

The devil is in the details. So we will be preparing the details over the next several months as we explore the possible ports of call and the resources they give us for fun, crew rendezvous, and restocking.

Crew Opportunities
While it is early, send me a PM if you are interested in possibly joining the adventure.

The Challenge.
Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise.JPG

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Ditto. Colin Banks on Wassail, a 34' Pacific Seacraft, who is a member of our motley flotilla, has been around at least once, maybe twice. Maybe I can get him to chime in with some sage advice.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Pretty simple.:p Cruise up the East side of the island. Get to the north end.:yikes: Turn left, and repeat on the west side, till we get back to Victoria. :clap: Celebrate.:biggrin:
Hi John, thanks for starting this thread. Should be an interesting one. I like the simplicity of your plan at this point. Never been to Victoria on our boat, but by car a number of times on vacation. Always a first. Other than our final destination, the most difficult decision for our little flotilla was, do we stay here for another day or two, or head to the next anchorage, whichever one that we agreed on during skipper's night, an hour or so away.

Skipper's night was every night and started early, shortly after dropping anchor. Rotating host boats helped to balance the wine/beer/spirits load. Sometimes our discussions would carry on into the wee hours of the morning with topics about this or that. By that time the spirits inventory would be running low and the ability to maneuver greatly diminished.

Some very important thought :) must be given to a name for this motley flotilla. Perhaps some suggestions would be in order, a vote to follow, and then we institutionalize it. This helps to memorialize the adventure. Our original one AMEE (Anacortes Mukilteo Everett Everett) was derived from our sort-of hailing port, just as a suggestion and snacks for some further discussion. R2AK became quite the endeavor for many, as has Baja Ha Ha over the years. Just say'n.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The trip sounds amazing!

I lived in BC for quite a few years and managed to get to Vancouver Island a few times mostly to windsurf at Nitinat Lake.
Nitinat Narrows by reputation is not a place where prudent boaters go unless your local.

I’m not sure how accessible this suggestion is; but a truely awe inspiring place is the old growth Douglas fir, Cathedral Grove in MacMillan Park near Port Alberni, long way inland and I have no idea if it’s sailable so maybe a silly suggestion.

Oct 22, 2014
Thank you for the interesting idea. No suggestion will be discarded without careful consideration. Ill let you know our itinerary and we will post our trip progress. We will try to let everyone stay in touch with our progress.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
It’s a long way from the water but anyone joining us in Tofino or Ucluelet will go through it. Great place’

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I’m certainly interested as long as I don’t have to shovel snow off the boat every morning.
One of the ironies of having the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, was that it has the most moderate climate in Canada. We were QUITE warm in the Gulf Islands in August.

Oct 22, 2014
Well I’d like to say. What snow. It will be sometime in June to August!

But with all the talk about Climate Change it is impossible to promise. You know all crew members have to take one for the team.

And as a side note I think I recall you claimed some experience ability bringing knowledge and a bit of pride to the task due to your NJ home port.

Jan 5, 2017
And as a side note I think I recall you claimed some experience ability bringing knowledge and a bit of pride to the task due to your NJ home port.
I recall that conversation in the pub. Could it have been the wine talking?

Oct 22, 2014
Quiet, peaceful, wind off your stern beam, swells, like a sleigh ride down hill.

Or a quite safe harbor/anchorage in a bay/fjord while the PacificNW waters forget they are Pacific.

Jan 5, 2017
What's conditions like on the west coast of the island ?
Different than it will be in 5 min.! In all the Sounds it's like the Gulf Islands or the San Juans. You just pay attention to the weather on the outside passages. Remembering it's open ocean to Asia on the west coast. There is a weather change at Brooks Pen. much like at Cape Mendicino (sp). The last 2 times we've hit Cape Cook in the fog and broken into warm sunshine by the time we got to Columbia Cove. You can get a fair amount of fog in August. Radar is handy, I've done it with and without.

Status
Not open for further replies.