360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is what I do Leo...
TC Nawhitti 30Jun2020.jpg
Set the date and examine the chart.
Of course the info is only as good as the data programed into the software...

Then I go to Ports and Passages / Tidal Currents and Charts to verify that the data is correct. The Software lets me examine the data and modify the time of arrival to give me a planning window for arrival and passage. Down here in the Lower 48, it has worked well. The chart also lets me alter my times to help me if I am ahead or behind schedule.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
John
I do the same thing, but what I don't know is what others have or do, so the only way to have common data is to use Tidal charts ie Can Gov or Ports and Passage. When I plan a group trip I keep in mine the lowest skippers device as some in the club don't use any electronic devices just old school stuff.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Yes that's it and the charts are from the 1970-80 all marked from their other trips and as for currents if it takes longer to get there then we should of left earlier or just keep in the deep spots and go with the flow.

Oct 22, 2014
I love my charts. When adventuring to an unknown place I do a lot of orientation on paper charts. Examining the routes and hazards. That then supports the electronic charts which I build a repeatable and shareable routing. This makes it easy for all to share the information.

I'd like to discuss the stops along the way north. Once past Victoria and Sidney where do you guys think we should - need to - visit as we make our way to Bull Harbor.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Once past Victoria and Sidney where do you guys think we should - need to - visit as we make our way to Bull Harbor.
Nanaimo -False Bay, Lasquiti- Comox then decide Discovery/ Johnstone or the back way.
Johnstone Straight way:- Campbell River- Blind Bay- Port Neville- Port McNeil or Port Hardy
Back way opens up several routes:- Rebeca Spit- Octopus Islands:- Shoal Bay:- Forward Harbour:- Lagoon Cove etc. etc. to Port McNeil/ Port Hardy. Just so many choices. If you are only going to do this once I'm in favour of the scenic route. I've gone both ways several times .

Oct 22, 2014
This being the first time. The scenic route sounds interesting. Nanaimo means a run right past Maple Bay, Thetis, Montague Harbor... etc. I know some places will be on the second trip.. Just thinking about your favorite places.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I'd like to discuss the stops along the way north. Once past Victoria and Sidney where do you guys think we should - need to - visit as we make our way to Bull Harbor.
There are bunches of great stops in that distance. Some better for groups of onesie and twosies and some for larger groups.
John, I think there are 4 separate Dreamspeaker guides covering the run from Victoria to Bull Harbour. For discussion purposes, I would suggest you break it down into shorter legs, maybe Sidney to Nanaimo, Nanaimo to Desolation, Desolation to Discovery, Discouver to Broughtons and Broughtons to Tip of VI. Even then your stops will be largly driven by the size of your flotilla.
Waggoners make organized group runs up through there every year. I wonder if that could be a place to start. Although, most of their vessels would be stink pots and thus longer ranges then what you would be planning.

Oct 22, 2014
All good ideas. Thank you.

From the earlier discussion about the run out from Bull Harbor and the Bar crossing. Would the departure date out of Bull Harbor be an important timing issue for all interested? Looking at the tables, the 30th of June looks about the last time one can get up early and have an Ebb tide assisting a morning departure crossing the Nahwitti bar and around Cape Scott. Then the tide changes to being a morning Flood. It is not until the 4th of July that the slack departure time returns to a morning daylight schedule. That is to beat a change to flood event across the Bar.

Then there are all the pubs to explore. I'm very open to this schedule so very interested in what you'all suggest.

No idea yet on the number of boats. Beyond Michael and several folk voicing a strong interest to be crew it is still an "All are Welcome" party.

Oct 22, 2014
Came across this interesting tidbit... and a fascinating art project...

Who was to know there was an entire driftwood art museum in the Octopus Islands near Vancouver? The author said they had to "brave the Dragon" through Hole in the Wall channel.

by Jon Foreman of Sculpt the World
1575826048393.png

watch

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
driftwood art museum in the Octopus Islands
Been there many times and didn't know. Now a must see. It's not necessary to brave Hole-in-the Wall to get there. You can do Beasley Passage, Surge Narrows and Okisollo Channel.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
John are Les and Stu going to tag along? We'll join up when you get by Campbell River.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Leo, a lot depends on health and wellness of my SO, and getting the boat ready, I’ve got new shaft, shaft log, shaft coupling, cutless, new (to me) auto prop and Rudder to install.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Leo, a lot depends on health and wellness of my SO, and getting the boat ready, I’ve got new shaft, shaft log, shaft coupling, cutless, new (to me) auto prop and Rudder to install.
Must come to a couple of boat bucks, Les.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Little planning going on around here, but do hope to do the circumnavigation. Some unknowns to get worked out. Usually sort out the next anchorage the night before setting sail. Try to keep each leg within reason. What has worked out before is a flooding sail from Eagle Harbor to Semiahmoo. Then across to Clam Bay or Pirates Cove. Nanaimo for a day or so, then the Lesqueti Art Festival the weekend of July 1. Depending upon weather, a long leg to Lund, or instead Secret Cove, Garden Bay or Sturt Bay. Just a matter of wiggling our way north. No hurry, but just so many places to pick and choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.