Check your cleats!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Have an '84 C22, recently noticed one of the aft mooring cleats was a bit loose (the OEM nylon ones with Phillips head bolts). EZE access thru the lazarette. These things are secured with simply a NUT screwed tight to the fiberglass beneath, no plate, no fender washers, no nuthin'!
What were they thinkin'???

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
Huh. My 1974 cleats seem secure, but I've never checked to see what's backing them.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I don't know this for certain about Catalina, but Hunter would encapsulate a hunk of aluminum in the fiberglass layup, then drill through it to secure deck fittings (a process you can do with one person instead of two). So it may look like there's no backing, but there is.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I don't know this for certain about Catalina, but Hunter would encapsulate a hunk of aluminum in the fiberglass layup, then drill through it to secure deck fittings (a process you can do with one person instead of two). So it may look like there's no backing, but there is.
Phil....good thought, that may (hopefully) be the case...going to reinforce all anyway beneath, no way of knowing if anything is sandwiched in there (other than plywood)...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If they are (wood) screws they aren't going into embedded plates. They would/should be machine screws.
I'm tempted to back out some of my hardware screws and add some drops of lubricant. I've already fought 2 track end stop screws that were frozen to the plates. :angry:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
If they are (wood) screws they aren't going into embedded plates. They would/should be machine screws.
I'm tempted to back out some of my hardware screws and add some drops of lubricant. I've already fought 2 track end stop screws that were frozen to the plates. :angry:
They're machine screws w/nuts below...could be threaded thru embedded plates, but I doubt it, and won't rely on that possibility...

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
That seems like a sensible construction practice, but I don't think the early C-22's did that. I up-sized from 6" to 8" cleats on both bow and stern (on my 1981). I re-drilled one hole completely (wider hole spacing on the larger cleats), and dremeled out the core, filled with epoxy, etc. It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed aluminum in the glass if it were there.

1/4" G10 bonded to the hull makes a really solid (and corrosion-proof) backing plate. It's probably overkill, but that's what I do best.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They're machine screws w/nuts below...could be threaded thru embedded plates, but I doubt it, and won't rely on that possibility...
Sorry rpludwig. We wandered. Someone else mentioned screws and plates

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
no worries, main point of posting this is to other c22er's....check your nutz! (cleats, that is)

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If you're lucky the original backing looks like this: completely blown up plywood

View attachment 168577
The underside of my plywood looks about the same as this picture. Does anyone think anything needs to be done to seal the cracks, or clean that up? Looks there also might be some traces of black mold as well. I've just left it, on the theory that life is too short - but I'm sure there's some recommended course of action. Anyone else do anything for it?

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
The underside of my plywood looks about the same as this picture. Does anyone think anything needs to be done to seal the cracks, or clean that up? Looks there also might be some traces of black mold as well. I've just left it, on the theory that life is too short - but I'm sure there's some recommended course of action. Anyone else do anything for it?
Mine looked that bad, or maybe worse. It was obvious in my case that the cracking was caused by the plywood core swelling when it absorbed water. And my pulpit moved, indicating flex in the deck. See Sailing and restoring #9874. Hope yours doesn’t need that surgery.