Charleston Marinas

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Koryn

Looking for recommendations for marinas in Charleston. Plan to have my Passage 42 there late Jan. thru mid March - will be aboard for some of that time, and the rest I'll be leaving the boat on "her own". Looking for a safe/secure marina, and one that is accessible from the ICW - I realize that with my mast height, there are some marinas that are unavailable to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

H

herbie

Only one marina experience

with marina in Charleston SC. and that was "Ross Marine". I purchased a 40.5 that was being stored there. We performed all the necessary work ourselves to have the boat shipped north by trailer. The personel at this marina was absolutely great. They gave us a hand when needed and when the time came to pay for their services, I was surprised and pleased with their rates. I "think" the ICW milepost was 475 but probably wrong. The marina yard has a manned (very nice, friendly woman) security gate; huge work shop, and a lot of help. Hope this helps you. Their address is 2676 Swygert Blvd Johns Island SC 29455 Phone-803-559-0379 herbie WHITE SATIN

T

tom

Charleston Marina

I have my boat dock at the charleston harbor marina. Next to the yorktown. Marina personell check the docks every at least every 2 hours looking for problems.(ie boats sinking, broken lines ect). There is no theft problem except for fellow neibors drinking your beer or borrowing your hose. Very friendly place. The marina will call you if any problems and can hold a key or combination for your boat in the office in case they need to prevent you boat from sinking.

D

Danny Covington

Charleston Marina's

Basicly you have several marinas to chose from. Charleston Harbor Marina at Patriots Point in Mt Pleasant, Cooper River Marina at the old Navy base and run by Charleston County Parks and Recreations, Ashley Marina just up the river from the city marina, Buzzards Roost on the Stono, and the Stono Marina across the bridge, Prices are pretty low. and you are right at Elliots cut. Plus the above mentioned. Email me for the phone numbers if you want. Drcov@bellsouth.net Or visit my web site http://charlestonsail.freeservers.com/

D

DENNY SWANSON

CHARLESTON MARINA

I USED ASHLEY MARINA FOR A WEEK WHEN ON THE ICW.CLEAN JOHNS & A VAN SERVICE TO DOWNTOWN.THEY CAN HANDEL ANY SIZE BOAT.

B

br smith

copper river marina

keep my h-34 at copper river marina for 6 mo. nice new docks, secure and save, but out of the way, its located inside the old navy base.

B

br smith

copper river marina

keep my h-34 at copper river marina for 6 mo. nice new docks, secure and save, but out of the way, its located inside the old navy base.

M

Mike Tyler

Charleston Area Marinas

The two marinas in the Charleston area that are closest to the ICW are the Wild Dunes Marina on the Isle of Palms and the City Marina on the Ashley River. They are both on the ICW. I presently keep my H36 at Wild Dunes which has very nice resort facilities,but you need a car to get into town.Security has never been a problem. The City Marina is downtown with a shuttle system that can be used to get into the shopping areas which are easily accessable walking or by bike. The Cooper River Marina is on the old Navy base and you can have a significant current to fight at the wrong phase of the tide. The same applies to the Danial Island Marina.The Ashley River Marina is just beyond the James Island bridge which is only 50 or 55 feet high,so clearance may be a problem. The Stono Marina and Buzzard's Roost Marina are on the Stono River and are convenient to the ICW , but you have to go through Elliott's Cut to get to the harbor which means you have to put up with a strong current and a drawbridge with restricted openings. Finally ,I personally would be concerned about leaving a boat long term at the Patriot's Point Marina near the Yorktown because I don't feel that it is protected enough in a storm with high winds. You should be able to find dockage at any of these marinas during the winter. If I can be of any further help,please write.

M

Mike Tyler

Charleston Area Marinas

The two marinas in the Charleston area that are closest to the ICW are the Wild Dunes Marina on the Isle of Palms and the City Marina on the Ashley River. They are both on the ICW. I presently keep my H36 at Wild Dunes which has very nice resort facilities,but you need a car to get into town.Security has never been a problem. The City Marina is downtown with a shuttle system that can be used to get into the shopping areas which are easily accessable walking or by bike. The Cooper River Marina is on the old Navy base and you can have a significant current to fight at the wrong phase of the tide. The same applies to the Danial Island Marina.The Ashley River Marina is just beyond the James Island bridge which is only 50 or 55 feet high,so clearance may be a problem. The Stono Marina and Buzzard's Roost Marina are on the Stono River and are convenient to the ICW , but you have to go through Elliott's Cut to get to the harbor which means you have to put up with a strong current and a drawbridge with restricted openings. Finally ,I personally would be concerned about leaving a boat long term at the Patriot's Point Marina near the Yorktown because I don't feel that it is protected enough in a storm with high winds. You should be able to find dockage at any of these marinas during the winter. If I can be of any further help,please write.

Status
Not open for further replies.