Changing oil first time

Nov 25, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
I have a 1987 Hunter 40 with a 44 horsepower Yanmar diesel what type of oil should I be putting in, and how much?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Oil needs to have the "c" designation on bottle for Diesel or compression ignition. I just use Walmart oil and then again I use internet to cross reference oil filter and buy a cheap one of those

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
If you haven’t yet you still got to figure out how you get the old oil out, what you put it in to (got to have some sturdy containers because it’s going to be hot and messy and you have to transport it) what tool you need for the filter, what to put under the filter to catch the drips, what you gonna do with all the rags and paper towels you use and how you going to get oil from a gallon container into the engine. (I have a funnel or you can make one out of a plastic soda bottle)

I happen to use Rotella but don’t believe it matters as long as it is good oil, and staying with one type avoids any possibility of incompatibility. I also spring for genuine Yanmar filters. You decide if a $20,000 engine is worth it.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Oil needs to have the "c" designation on bottle for Diesel or compression ignition. I just use Walmart oil and then again I use internet to cross reference oil filter and buy a cheap one of those
Don't buy a cheap filter. The basic Fram filters are junk, for example. It's not worth saving a couple of bucks for this.

See Maine Sail's discussion in a recent post.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I change my oil every other year, in the fall.

i don’t motor much (about 500 yards to open water from my slip :cool:).

I have a 2GM20F Yanmar.

I have used various filters, including Yanmar and Fram ( PH series - orange with the grippy black band on it).

Have not had an issue with the Fram in any vehicles I have used them on.

Greg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Let's see oil for a 30+ year old diesel engine. I would go with Rotella T4 15W-40. Loss of viscosity due to heat and contaminants is much more damaging to engines than dirt particles so i would not worry too much about the filter. Granted that Fram filters sit at the bottom of the filtering capacity but they do make compatible filters for most Yanmar engines. There is no need to throw money away on Yanmar filters once the engines are out of warranty. Filters like Motorcraft or Bosch are much better than Fram if you can find a compatible size. Remember today's oils and filters are much better than when your engine was designed decades ago.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
Thank you, sailors, for all your advice. I used Rotella T4 15W- 40. My engine only took about 2.5 quarts. I did change my filter also.
Now on to other projects.!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Start it up... Run it for 15 minutes or so to get it warm. Then check the oil level and cleanliness. If it has not been done for a while you may find the oil "dirty again" :yikes:. And it may be over or under the level of the dip stick. Correct to get it right. Go sailing. or on the the next project (not as exciting).

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Start it up... Run it for 15 minutes or so to get it warm. Then check the oil level and cleanliness. If it has not been done for a while you may find the oil "dirty again" :yikes:. And it may be over or under the level of the dip stick. Correct to get it right. Go sailing. or on the the next project (not as exciting).
On every diesel I've ever owned, the oil blackens very quickly. This does not mean that it is dirty. I think this is common with many (most?) diesel engines. If I were to change my oil as soon as it blackens I'd stay tied to the dock changing my oil!:oops:

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
It was explained to me that the oil turns black immediately because of a jet in oil circuit that's sprays oil at the back of piston during ignition to keep piston from melting

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Only 2.5 quarts? Sounds like you didn't get all the old oil out. Check your manual for capacity. Not sure what model you have but the manual link in post #2 suggests 5 quarts.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Black oil is just the nature of diesel engines. Typically worse in boat engines as it's usually harder to get all the old oil out. Sucking it out through the dipstick hole leaves a little behind, and even a drain plug might if there is a little pooled in the aft end of the oil pan due to the mounting angle of the engine. Mix that with the new oil and it's black before you even start the engine. Incidentally, the University research boats I used to run burn 100% biodiesel, and it does not turn the lube oil black in those engines. Looks almost the same at 100 hours as it did going in. The deckhands complain they need better lighting in the engine rooms cause they can't see the oil level on the dipstick.