chainplate inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2010
Seafarer 26 Union Springs, NY
I'd like to do a thorough inspection of the rigging before mast stepping this coming spring. How can I inspect the attachments of the chainplates? It looks like the liner or the deck covers the parts I'd like to inspect. Is cutting the liner necessary?

Thanks

Sep 30, 2010
Seafarer 26 Tampa
Kim
If you haven't discovered this yet. As you should know the chain plates are external on the 26. Then through bolted to the boat. If you open the locker above the settee on the forward side you can look up between the cabin top and the liner and see/reach the other side of the bolts. No cutting needed. Sorry it took so long for the answer I would get home from visiting the boat and then remember I wanted to check.

Dan

Sep 24, 2010
Kim
If you haven't discovered this yet. As you should know the chain plates are external on the 26. Then through bolted to the boat. If you open the locker above the settee on the forward side you can look up between the cabin top and the liner and see/reach the other side of the bolts. No cutting needed. Sorry it took so long for the answer I would get home from visiting the boat and then remember I wanted to check.

Dan
Dan:
This is a bit confusing to me. My boats chainplates are not external. They are not visible from the outside of the boat. All I see is two U shaped eyes on deck where the shrouds attach. Maybe they made different versions for keel and drop keel modles. (?)

Sep 30, 2010
Seafarer 26 Tampa
Dan:
This is a bit confusing to me. My boats chainplates are not external. They are not visible from the outside of the boat. All I see is two U shaped eyes on deck where the shrouds attach. Maybe they made different versions for keel and drop keel modles. (?)

What year Seafarer do you have? I know of two styles, I have the ~1972 and on version designed by McCurdy and Rhodes. I don't know exactly what year between 1970 and 1972 they switched from a Bill Tripp designed boat. The earlier Tripp design had a two level cabin top were the later Rhodes designs cabin was a constant level.

Sep 24, 2010
chainplates on seafarer

What year Seafarer do you have? I know of two styles, I have the ~1972 and on version designed by McCurdy and Rhodes. I don't know exactly what year between 1970 and 1972 they switched from a Bill Tripp designed boat. The earlier Tripp design had a two level cabin top were the later Rhodes designs cabin was a constant level.
Dan:
My boat was built in 1973. I"m told it's the McCurdy Rhodes design, but the chainplates are definitely inboard and between the hull and liner. They are also not a strap type. The end on deck with an inverted U bolt.

Thanks for your help with this. I think I would feel better if I could see the chainplates. I'm pretty sure the boat was only sailed in freshwater but still an inspection seems prudent.

Kim Gilbertson

Mornar

Jan 25, 2011
McVay, Northstar Marin, 22 Montreal
chainplates

Dan:
My boat was built in 1973. I"m told it's the McCurdy Rhodes design, but the chainplates are definitely inboard and between the hull and liner. They are also not a strap type. The end on deck with an inverted U bolt.

Thanks for your help with this. I think I would feel better if I could see the chainplates. I'm pretty sure the boat was only sailed in freshwater but still an inspection seems prudent.

Kim Gilbertson
I recently sold my Seafarer 24... it had a same type 'chainplates', on deck you only see the top of the U-bolt
These were going through deck and a backing plate glassed to deck... you could feel ( or see - if using a small mirror and flashlight) the nuts on the ends of U-bolts under the deck, close to the hull/deck joint
I did not have any issues with them at all, my boat was 1973 year... in my opinion the design was good (U bolts) and it did the job. You might have the same thing on your 26
Cheers

Sep 30, 2010
Seafarer 26 Tampa
Kim

It sounds as if Monar is correct about yours being like the 24s. I took a look at the photos on the yachtworld web site and they have a 1973 26 listed. There is not very many pictures but enough to tell that the chain plates are different from the latter models. There is a real good picture of the external plates on the listing for a 1979 in Atlanta/Buford, GA.
Good luck it looked to be quite a feet to see yours.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.