centerboard binding - follow up again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
Previously, I wrote about my experience with my CB binding and was told by Hunter that it may be due to water getting into the CB through a crack and they sent me a "new, improved" version that will not swell even if water gets in. I rec'd the new one but when I unwrapped it, I found it covered with what looked like impact damage along the edges. Hunter told me what appeared to be "spider cracks" were in fact just imperfections in the mold. I am including one photo and will post others in the photo forum. I would appreciate any feedback from those of you who know more about fiberglass and gel coat material than I. I don't think that Hunter is lying, but it surprises me that what clearly look like cracks to me are just mold imperfections. As you can see on the photo forum, there were also a couple of places where the surface material actually chipped off.

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Yea, I would be concerned too !

They sure get your attention for not being cracks ! As to the mold, lack of craftsmanship and pride I expect if this is what Hunter is turning out. I have worked with fiberglass and have made some small molds for casting Lead and resin,I can't think of anything I crafted that resembles what you have. The end results of your product is only as good as the workmanship you put into it. I would hope this was an oversite by Hunter's Quality Control Team that slipped through and not the norm.

D

david

upload to photo forum

I can't figure out how to upload the pics to the photo forum (how to resize). Anyway, I have to say that Hunter has been responsive to my previous concerns and when I sent them the CB pics, they even noted that the balers (?) were bent and sent a new set. But, I just want to make sure that the "cracks" are indeed just superficial, not structural. I am including a photo of one of the chips.

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Cant make it out

Sorry David, I can't make out what you are showing on your picture, I see something there, just don't know what I'm looking at it does appear to be raised. I have heard and read from other post that indeed, most are happy with Hunters responses.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Plastic Filler

I used some automotive plastic filler, sanded and painted on my board when I had it out. It had a few spots that looked like that. Thankfully it still looks good after a season of sailing. JerryA

May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Mine Did The Same Thing

See David's Post 'Chips' below...same as mine. Looked like the core material didn't quite fill the edges of the shell in the area of the shackel during the mold process. Coolers etc banging around/hitting this area of CB broke the thin outer shell. I removed most of the shell where there was no backing, filled and shaped and sanded. Used plexus. Procedure at 'Related Link' (see APC Repair.pdf). Will say I'm amazed at how rugged the bottom end of the CB is from bad experiences of contact with the occasional rock in the shallows...scratches but no fractures. Bending shackeles will result from trailering with CB cleated in up position. Suggest uncleating and provide support as in attached pic. Just remember to raise & cleat when launching! Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.