CDI Roller furling Jib Sheet Length

Oct 8, 2012
Hobie 16, Daysailer II, 22 Lake Winnisquam NH
I have been cruising around the site looking for jib sheet lengths for a Catalina 22 with a CDI Roller Furling set up. I am curious about the diameter as well. We just bought the boat this year and finally rigged it today. To my dismay the jib sheets never made it onboard when we picked up the boat last winter / fall. I have a temporary line set up to hold the furled genoa in place. We want to pick up the new line tomorrow. If i was to guess I would go about 60 feet, 3/8's?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
TBone

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
The sail size matters on my 150, I have 66 ft secured with a cow hitch in the middle so 33 ft on each side. I hate 3/8th's it feels small, I like 7/16th's and something fuzzy like Sampson Trophy Braid

Sep 12, 2013
Catalina 22 Dillon, CO
I just installed my new CDI with a 135% sail. I ordered the blue fuzzy sheets from Catalina Direct. They are the perfect length but I would have prefered a smaller diameter. They just seem like big fat lines for such a small boat.
I would have liked to order them from this web sight the same length just smaller diameter.

Sep 12, 2013
Catalina 22 Dillon, CO
Catalina Direct fuzzy blue line is listed as 3/8" and 55' long, so I guess I wouldn't go smaller in diameter and take azguy,s recommendation.
They just seem a little thick but maybe after a season the fuzz and stretch will break in a little or I will get used to them.
I also use the cow hitch and the 55' seem to be just right for my 135.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Always used 5/16" myself without any problems whatso ever, just depends on what YOU want and are comfortable with.... Fat heavy sheets really suck in light air.... You'll want to keep that in mind. :D

Oct 8, 2012
Hobie 16, Daysailer II, 22 Lake Winnisquam NH
Well after some good advice here and from a rigging shop in Newport RI I ended up with 60' of 3/8th Regatta single braid line made by Samson. It has a nice soft feel to it. I paid $1.30/ foot. Seems reasonable. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the input guys...

TBone

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
Ken is correct, in light air a thinner/lighter line is nice, otherwise in light air the line drags on the sail as it changes sides. The sunbrella on my Roller Furling 150 doesn't help either and when the PO had two huge bowline knots it was like an anchor on the tack...

Sep 12, 2013
Catalina 22 Dillon, CO
I reread my last post and saw my Freudian slip showing.
I meant I "would" take azguy's recommendation.
I wish I had smaller lines.

Sorry, didn't mean to diss ya azguy.