CDI Flexible Furler

Oct 2, 2017
Catalina 22 Haslett, MI
I have an early model Catalina 22 project boat I've been working on. It came with a CDI Flexible furler. Problem is, the previous owner did not properly store the furler foil and it is kinked in various places and various directions. I have had it stretched out between two trees with ratchet straps all last summer to try and straighten it out as well as clamping some boards on the really bad areas. It is still severely kinked. I contacted CDI and a replacement foil is ~$250 plus $50 shipping.

Here's my issue. I don't want to spend that much on a replacement foil. I would be happy with hank on sails, HOWEVER the boat came with a nice genoa sail that is near new. In fact, it might never have been used, it looks perfect. The sail is for the flexible furler though. So if I go hank-on, I would need to buy a new headsail and even the used ones on ebay are more than the replacement foil for the furler. And I would want a large and small jib. I will be sailing on the Great Lakes and the weather can change fast.

I am trying to better understand how this furler works. Is the furler in place of the normal headstay or is the headstay somehow in the flexible foil? Or will I have the furler and a headstay? CD also sell what they call the flexible furler halyard. This sounds/looks like it's a halyard that runs within the furler foil. It has a piece of metal swaged on the line and part of it is de-cored. This line is almost $100. It looks like I have that line in my older foil but its old and worn out looking with some green algae growing on it so I'm not sure it's still usable. So if I need that part I'm up to about $400 just to fix the furler. Anyway to use this furler without that internal special halyard?

What's the best option here? What would you do?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Flexible furler works fine for me. Your headstay will be inside it. You may have to replace the foil if it is kinked. I would wash the internal halyard and inspect it. Probably OK.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I would replace the extrusion I had a similar issue and discover by accident it also became very brittle over the years as it cracked while I was moving it.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
I had the same on my old Macgregor 26S. I pull a line in the slots to prevent it from collapsing. Clamp it between a pair of 2x4 and douse it with very hot water. You could use heat gun but be careful not to melt it.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
I’m coming up on sailing a Catalina 22 for 30 years, The problems I’ve seen with furlers on trailerable boats, I would not have one unless the boat is over 30 feet in length, 30 feet is not trailerable.