Catalina Outboards Motor Flush

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
I purchased this boat with a 20-year old Nissan 5HP 4-Stroke that lived in fresh water since it's beginning.
I am now going to moor the boat or for that matter even a slip. How does one flush the salt water from the motor after a day of sailing.
A motor this old does not have a water hose connection. All the water is delivered from the prop housing.
Second thought, is a 3gal. gas tank enough fuel for the open Gulf?

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
A 5 gal bucket, a flushing bag, or "ear muffs" if your engine can accept them.

I flush my 4hp Tohatsu with a bag with the dinghy still in the water, tilt the motor out of the salt water, put the bag on, tilt it back down, put running hose in bag, start motor when bag is full of water. Out of the water I use a bucket.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
gas depends on how long you 1 third for out, 1 third for return. 1 third for unknown but you gotta make up a card of runtime, per throttle setting in gallons used before you decide to go.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I used to flush my 27 year old tohatsu 9.9 after every single outing, using the ear muff method, crawling down the boarding ladder on the transom. I mentioned it to the mechanic than services the motor yearly, and he said as long as you run the motor on a regular basis, then tilt it up to drain when you're done, there is no reason to flush it every single time. It's more important to actually run it regularly than anything else. Now if you leave it in the down position, but not running, for a long period of time without the water draining out.... that's different. I will say that my engine is a two stroke. Food for thought. Don't be afraid of a little saltwater.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
How much fuel did you carry on your long trips ?
The tank holds six gallons, which is usually enough. We did take eleven gallons to the Dry Tortugas, and we took eight gallons to Flamingo, FL this past Christmas.