Catalina Capri 22 (fin keel vs wing keel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff McMurray

I'm seriously considering buying a Capri-22. Can anyone relate their experiences with respect to fin keels and wing keels? Is there much difference in performance between them? I like the idea a wing keel because of the shallow draft and ease of trailering. Racing performance isn't that important to me...but good handling is. I plan on trailering the boat to different cruising areas.

B

Bill Kreston

Wing Keel Capri 22

Jeff, I have a 2003 wing keel Capri 22, standard rig. I haven't sailed the fin, but I have owned and sailed on a number of sailboats. You won't be disappointed with the performance of the wing keel Capri 22. Mine sails great in the 7 - 15 mph wind speed area. I especially like to sail in the just under 10 mph range when single-handing. It is easy to sail and you can feel the boat take off with each wind puff. This is a great boat if you are looking for something that has some performance, but still is comfortable for the whole family. I'm sure the fin keel guys will respond that the tall rig, fin performs better than the wing, and it might, but if you spend little of your time on the race course, who cares? Good luck on your search. If your looking for something in the 20 - 25 foot range, I don't think you can beat the Capri 22. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.