Catalina 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Art Golden

Iam considering a step up to a 42' Catalina in 2 years at which time I will begin to equip it for retirement (live-aboard) in 2005 and for cruising in the Caribbean. I Would like some feed back from any current 42' live-aboards as to their personal experiences as well as how they have equiped their boats for living aboard.

B

Bob Teeter

Art, You have made a wise choice in the 42. We bought Camelot in 1990, 3 cabin model and lived aboard for almost 3 years. We also plan to escape in about 2005, but to go down the west coast to Mexico for several years. As far as making her a livaboard, we took the port aft stateroom and turned it into a closet. We added refergeration and heat, but that was about the size of it. My list for cruising is different. Watermaker. Additional fuel tank. Genset. Redundant auto pilot systems. As far as rigging is concerned. I want a baby stay with running back stays to allow me to hank on a smaller head sail. I will also be adding addtional reef points on the main. The list goes on and on. I would like to keep in touch with you as our plans seem to be nearly the same. My e-mail address is camelot@jps.net Another good source of information is from the C-42 national association. There are several articles that are in their web page with reference to a boat that went through a complete retrofit to go cruising last year. The list is more extensive than I plan to do, but there are some good ideas. Good luch to you in making your plans come true. Bob Teeter

E

Ernie A

Check the back issues of MAINSHEET...

...the house magazine of the National Catalina Associations. Hi, Art-- Membership which includes subscription to the magazine is a mere $25.00/yr. Info at http://www.catalina42.org/ or you can find your Catalina 36 organization through the links at the www.catalinayacht.com webpage. MAINSHEET includes sections of owner-contributed technical tips for each Catalina mlodel, with modifications for live-aborad and passage-making. They are terrific -- well worth the $25. If something has worked well enough to brag about, it may work for you. Once a member, for a few bucks each back issues can be obtained from Jim Holder, the publisher. Good reading, Ernie April WindCatcher C-42

Status
Not open for further replies.