Catalina 400 Stanchion Mounts

Sep 9, 2014
Catalina 30 WYC
I have recently purchased a Catalina 400 after having a Catalina 30 for a number of years. One thing I have found is that the inner mounting of the stanchions is actually a self-tapping screw into the deck. These screws are now spinning in the hole and need to be fixed. I would like to through bolt them, but can not seem to get to the underside of the deck unless removing of most of the interior. Has anyone else had the same issue? What has anyone else done to rectify this situation?

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I don't have an answer for you. Have you asked on the Catalina 400 Yahoo site?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I have seen similar-size Catalina's where the deck stanchions and pulpits were mounted over aluminum plates cast into the bottom of the laminate. Then the fastenings are threaded into these. I am not sure if the incorporated backing plates are predrilled and threaded, or this was done from the top.
(I do not believe that Catalina would use a weak and unsafe scheme of trying to hold a stanchion with only self-tapping screws. That just does not sound like them.)
Have you directly asked Catalina about this??

Sep 9, 2014
Catalina 30 WYC
I did check with Catalina and they indicated that some of the C400's simply had self tapping screws into the deck on the 2 inboard fasteners. The 2 outer ones were tapped into the toe rail. I agree, it does not sound like them, but it looks like this is what they did. Thanks for your response.

May 17, 2012
Catalina C400 Corner Brook
I have a Mk 1 hull number 146 and my stanctions were bolted to toerail but the inside ones are screwed to the deck. I replaced almost all the screws with bolts except for the starboard gate. You can reach all of the locations between the headliner and the hull of the boat. The starboard gate is behind the galley cabinets so I passed on trying to do that one. I had to remove some of the small cabinets behind the main seating area to be able to reach the new bolt locations. I installed backing plates on all bolts. It is a 2 person job to tighten the new bolts and nuts. The headliner in our boat was not quite aligned properly so in the V berth I had to cut a small access hole behind the wood trim where the AC electrical outlet is on the port side of the V berth. The wood trim covered the hole perfectly.

Hope this helps
Byron
C Whisper hull 146
Corner Brook Newfoundland

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter Catalina 400 PORT JEFERSON, NY
I have Hull #130 and have worked on the stanchions. The outer bolts are taped into the toe rail and the inner two are self taping screws. When I replaced some stanchions, I had considerable crevice corrosion between the stainless and the toe rail. When I remounted the stanchion, I bedded them in 5200 as a gasket to stop the crevice corrosion and now I do not rely on the bolts as fasteners.

Alan Johnson C400 #130 "Skol"

Sep 9, 2014
Catalina 30 WYC
Byron - many thanks. My # is 76 so I am in the same age as yours. Funny it's the ones on the starboard gate that are my biggest concern. I will be looking at doing them next winter I guess! Much appreciated.

Apr 25, 2012
Catalina 400 Key West, FL
Hull #210. replaced most of my stanchions to attack leaks on the inner screws tapped into the deck. I simply drilled out the deck screws, used West system epoxy to fill holes, then retapped new screws. I also replaced SS bolts drilled into aluminum toe rail:drilled out and retapped with larger SS bolts. Stronger than new. Leak free and dry on the inside again!