Catalina 38 purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2010
Catalina 38 bay
This is a great website. A lot to digest. I am still searching the web for a boat in the 38 to 40 foot range. Seems like for the past two years, but only 2-3 months. My interests lie in finding something to blue water sale in. I will live aboard as well. My question is, I've run across a 38 footer in California. It seems to be in decent shape , only an inspection will bear that out. It's a Catalina sloop. In looking at postings here, I can't seem to get a feel for the Catalina. What folks think about them, resale value. The boat is a 1983, so I'm sure I will need to refit a bit. Could someone help me muse this decision? I'd appreciate any and all help. I know this is asking (by asking catalina owners) a lot for an unbiased opinion, but if anyone would know, I quess y'all would.

Regards, Gary

May 10, 2004
Beneteau 36 CC Sidney, BC, Canada
Gary have a look at; Catalina38.org I have owned 3 Catalinas over 30 years a 22, a 27 and for the past 12 years a 30. They are a "Chevy" nothing fancy but well made and retain their value. This site, the huge Catalina Owners support , and the fact I can still get parts for a 1983 Catalina 30 from the Manufacturer Catalina ( I bought a replacement aluminum fuel tank from them a couple of years ago - fit in like a glove and cost 1/4 what a custom made replacement would have cost) are a big plus in considering Catalina.

Nov 23, 2010
Catalina 38 bay
Gary have a look at; Catalina38.org I have owned 3 Catalinas over 30 years a 22, a 27 and for the past 12 years a 30. They are a "Chevy" nothing fancy but well made and retain their value. This site, the huge Catalina Owners support , and the fact I can still get parts for a 1983 Catalina 30 from the Manufacturer Catalina ( I bought a replacement aluminum fuel tank from them a couple of years ago - fit in like a glove and cost 1/4 what a custom made replacement would have cost) are a big plus in considering Catalina.
That's a good point Tom, appreciate the feedback. I will check out the web site. I have heard pro's and cons on Cat's I thought I'd do more research. But having said that, I still need a a boat thats going to take me where I want to go. If Cat's aren't reliable, dependable and sturdy enough to cross the ocean, I'd sure like to know.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Catalinas as well as most all other production boats are neither designed or intended to cross oceans. Lack of storage, fuel capacity, water, rigging, sails etc would all require extensive modification. Some would argue that any boat can with extensive modification but why bother? Hunters, Catalinas, Beneteaus are all coastal cruisers so if you are really intent on a specific purpose, you would do better finding a boat designed for that need.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Don's right, although Catalinas have been modified to cross oceans. Patrick Childress took a C27 around many years ago. A C36 or two have been tricked out to do so also. But they are built as coastal cruisers.

Oct 1, 2008
Catalina C-42 mkII Alameda
I owned a 1985 C-38 for five years. Hull number was 297. It is a great boat and sails really well, especially to weather. Down wind, with the spinnaker up, they can be a little rolly due to their IOR style hull. Reaching up slightly stops the rolling. We lived aboard the boat too. We were the second owner of the boat. I sold the boat for a little more than I paid for it so resale value was OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.