Catalina 35 MK II engine replacement

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 34MKII 1717 Merritt Island, FL
I am thinking of buying a 2005 Catalina 34 MK II. The owner replaced the engine. The original engine was a Universal M35. The replacement engine is a Universal M25 XPB. Is this issue a deal breaker. Thank you

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I guess more importantly, why did the owner need to replace the engine on a 2005 boat? Many of us on here have boats that are many years older and have many, many hours on them and have not been compelled to replacing the engine? Does that speak of problems with maintenance that could show somewhere else? Was the boat partially submerged? Just don't understand why someone would need to replace a engine on a 2005 boat. Maybe I'm miopic but I'd want to know why it had to be replaced first. What is the HP difference on the two?

Jun 3, 2004
I guess more importantly, why did the owner need to replace the engine on a 2005 boat? Many of us on here have boats that are many years older and have many, many hours on them and have not been compelled to replacing the engine? Does that speak of problems with maintenance that could show somewhere else? Was the boat partially submerged? Just don't understand why someone would need to replace a engine on a 2005 boat. Maybe I'm miopic but I'd want to know why it had to be replaced first. What is the HP difference on the two?

Jun 3, 2004
The engine was replaced after an exhaust mixing elbow failure. The new engine is 26 HP the old engine was 30 HP.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
The engine was replaced after an exhaust mixing elbow failure. The new engine is 26 HP the old engine was 30 HP.
Okay, thanks. I guess the exhaust mixing elbow failure put water in the running engine and cracked the block, broke a piston, bent rod or valve or other such catastrophic failure. Reminds me to be more diligent in inspecting my exhaust elbow!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I don't see a deal breaker there - but you certainly want to do a sea trial...

dj

Jun 3, 2004
Thank you, I am definitely having the boat surveyed. This will include a sea trial...Gary

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gary
You are the judge. Using an "Auxiliary" to get in and out of the marina, then raising sails and using their main power to travel/play means the 4 HP difference is nothing.

If on the other hand you are relying on the engine HP to get you through difficult seas and currents you might wonder why the drop down in HP was a good idea.

As has been said - it is your boat and your decision.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I am thinking of buying a 2005 Catalina 34 MK II. The owner replaced the engine. The original engine was a Universal M35. The replacement engine is a Universal M25 XPB. Is this issue a deal breaker. Thank you
I think that if you go to the Catalina 34 forum you will get the information you need. That forum is an excellent resource for engine information . I believe that most of the earlier 34s use the 25xp engine with little concerns.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
From the specs on the boat it displaces about 11,950 pounds. Just a little more than my 35. I originally had a M25 motor (21HP) and that was adequate but I felt slightly underpowered. I recently installed a Beta 25 (25HP) and am very happy with the motor. The Beta and Universal both use a Kubota diesel motor and turn it into a boat motor. A 35 in that boat is overpowered so it will be running too slow an RPM to be efficient. The Catalina 34 originally used the M25 same as the O'Day 34/35 and I am surprised there was a M35 installed in one. The 25xp will be fine in that boat not a deal breaker.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
pay for an engine oil analysis AND an engine survey by a qualified engine mechanic . check p shaft coupler faceout, and engine mounts too. from 05 to 19 could be a lot of hours and you want to see if you'll be needing a major overhaul any time soon so you can deduct it from the price...