Catalina 30TR 3 blade prop advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Wobbe

I am wanting to get a new prop on my Catalina 30TR and am interested in finding out what I should be looking for. What size blade will fit and is a folding prop really that much better. Etc.. Advice? Comments?

A

Augie Byllott

Re-propping a C30

Catalina keeps records, by hull number, of every boat they built. If you contact Catalina and give them your hull number they will look up the record and discuss your situation with you. They know how your boat was equipped when it left the factory. This is far better than jawboning with folks who may or nay not be knowledgable on the subject of your particular boat. The link below will bring you to the Catalina contact site. You can reach them by phone or email.

A

Allen

Another idea

John, Definitely check with Catalina, that was good advice. Another idea would be to call the manufacturer of your engine. The engine will have as much to do with choosing a prop as will the boat itself. Good Luck! Allen Schweitzer s/v Falstaff C-30 Hull# 632

C

Cliff Carter

Re-prop

John, I changed the prop on our Cat 30 this spring from a two blade 12x12 to a three blade Campbell Sailor Prop 13x9. I have repowered the boat and it has a Yanmar 2GM (13 H.P.)now with a 2:62x1 trans. To my surprise I actually lost cruising speed and response. The engine will rev to its max under load with no effort and at my normal throttle setting of 3,000 rpm I get 4 knots down from 5.5 It is obvious that the prop is not working to its potential and I think a re-pitch will help. I have e-mailed the manufactured ( who is located an hour away from here) but have heard nothing back from them as yet. I also sent an e-mail last night to Catalina for their thughts on what pitch I should go to OR go back to a convential 2 or 3 blade. I think the best thing to try first is the re-pitch which is the least expensive and look at either a 10 in or even 11 inch. Get some pro advise re: make, size and pitch or you will end up like me, trial and error! Cliff Carter PlusOne 1977 Cat 30 #598 Oak Bay B.C.

F

Fred

C30 prop

Take a look at the Flex-o-Fold folding prop. I had considered replacing the factory 3 blade and did a bunch of research and finally settled on this prop. That said, I never did buy it and ended up selling the boat instead, so I can't speak from personal experience. Fred

F

Fred

Flex-o-Fold web site

Here's a link to the Flex-o-Fold: http://www.cruisingsolutions.com/prop.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.