Catalina 22 swing keel on mooring

Sep 25, 2014
no boat no boat fl
Hello,
I have an opportunity to buy a C22 swing keel, but there is no trailer. I have a place to leave the boat in fresh water. Is this a bad idea with the metal swing keel?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Many leave their boats in the water. Just lower the keel, have a good coat of bottom paint, and pull the boat every year or so to check for maintenance items. You'll want to know the condition of pivot pin, cable for winch, slop in side to side movement, turning ball, volcano tube, etc.
Whatever you do don't store it with the keel up. If the cable breaks while your not around the 500lb keel may crack the front of the trunk when it falls leading to a leak that could find your boat not exactly where you left it when you return.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Agreed. I would go to great lengths not to moor one in salt, but fresh water wouldn't concern me.

Sep 25, 2014
no boat no boat fl
Thanks.
Just curious what kind of bottom paint is best for this situation. The choices are mind numbing

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Thanks.
Just curious what kind of bottom paint is best for this situation. The choices are mind numbing
that's like asking which Anchor is best on this forum. Ask around as to what others use in your local area. Then you'll know what works best for you. IN my area VC-17 is king for fresh water.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
:plus: for VC17 in Fresh Water.... not sure what a season in Fresh would look like -- but for the dink and dunkers like me... best ever.