Catalina 22 Spreader boots

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Making Leather Catalina 22 Spreader boots

My rubber spreader boots had definitely seen better days.
I had wrapped tape around them until I got around to getting, or making, new ones.

Old Rubber Boot.jpg

What to use now ?

In addition to the traditional leather, and the typical rubber ones available, I discovered that there are some newer designs, made of woven cloth, that allow moisture to drain & evaporate.

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?5338

Taylor also makes some like that, but none of the local suppliers list them or have them in stock.
I figure I'll make or buy some of these, but I wanted a quicker solution.

I have some Moose hide, and some thread I used when working on my boat cover, so I decided that I'd try make some leather ones.

Using "Inkscape" (an open source vector based graphics program), I created a template, based on an image I found online.
I then used some old blue jean material to make a test version, to see if the dimensions were right.

It was then a simple task to trace and cut two copies from the Moose hide, mark and punch the stitching holes with a awl, and stitch them onto the spreaders with a "herring bone" stitch.

Stitching was a bit of a hassle initially, but it was easy once I did one side.
I used a large curved needle, and the same UV protected thread I used on my DIY boat cover.

$60 for leather spreader boots ? How about ones in true Canadian materials for Free ? LOL

FWIW: Thrift stores are a good source of pieces of leather. A single cowhide jacket would supply enough leather for multiple little projects.

Moose Hide Boots.jpg Installed Boots.jpg

A PDF version of the template is below.

Printing instructions on the template

Thread holes on template are a location guide, and don't need to be as big as shown. As long as your needle and thread fit through the hole it is fine.

C22 Leather Spreader Boot Template.pdf

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
So what is the import tariff on them, I wont tell the big orange haired guy if you wont.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So what is the import tariff on them, I wont tell the big orange haired guy if you wont.
hehe. I figure you can scuff the PDF up a bit so it appears like it's old. :laugh:

I just got back from working at a music festival. Should have time to do the PDF tomorrow. :)

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Thanks for posting, I think I'll give this a try as I have some leather laying around the shop some where.