Catalina 22 speed

Mar 20, 2020
Catalina 22 Olympia
What can be done to the keel to make a Catalina go faster?

the rig is up but I’m now sure the best way to tune for racing?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Sand, fair, paint, etc on the keel. Get your rig tuned as per Catalina guidelines and go from there. Same for the bottom and spend the $$ on VC-17 bottom paint. But then again, you are racing a Cat-22, your PHRF is around 270 without mods for smaller head-sail and no spinnaker, if you aren't flying one. Going to the extreme, and this is just my opinion it's your $$, is not really worth it for a Cat-22. You are doing beer can/buoy club racing? Yes/No? Yes, I understand, believe me, that you want to go fast as possible. But, need to work your monetary priorities.

My 2 cents as a guy who "raced" an O' Day 25 but, now actually races a Beneteau First 235.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota

Get the Tech manual as there are chapters of information on racing. You'll want to tune the mast differently for various wind speeds, fair the bottom and keel (bare gelcoat is best if its never been painted) and shift weight forward particularly downwind. To relieve weatherhelm a spacer can be added to the upper pintal. Details are under the class rules. C22 is technically a one design fleet and they can be a lot of fun to race. I went to nationals last year and had a great time with a great group of people. Their not the fastest racing boat in the water but they are one of the few you can race wednesday night and cruise in for the next week. With proper tuning you should be able to easily beat your PHRF (mine is set at 280-300 depending on adjustments but I have the much slower Wing keel).

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
One other thing to look in to, how old are your sails?

Mar 20, 2020
Catalina 22 Olympia
Sails are in ok shape. I’ll look at that maybe next year. I was going to focus on rig tuning and possibly smoothing up the keel if that’s not a whole lot of dollars.

Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
hello, Catalina sells a Catalina 22 "how to do it" video with templates and patterns on making the swing keel aerodynamic.
I think it was around $35.00.

• Helpful
Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
In testing aircraft speed, it was found that a good wax job could increase speed by five knots.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
In testing aircraft speed, it was found that a good wax job could increase speed by five knots.
I don't race nor spend much time associating with racers, but it is my understanding that waxing and other non-standard bottom treatments are heavily frowned upon by race committees.

Fair and smooth. Reduce any non- essential protrusions.

An adjustable backstay may help where the wind is inconsistent.

Fresh sails, good rig tuning, and smooth bottom are the best attributes besides seamanship, strategy and luck.

Hope you have a great racing season.

-Will (Dragonfly)