Catalina 22 Mast Stepping

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Okay......I am new at this and looking for some guidance on raising and lowering the mast.
My 1987 Cat 22 is on the way form New Mexico to Florida. I've seen all the U Tube Video with and with out Gin Pole. This is keeping me awake at night only because I plan to have the bottom done at our local boat yard and they want +$200 to do it for me. I would like to DIY and concerned that I may need another person to help with this endeavor. I am ordering the Mast System to assist with this process. I have also read the Owners Manual step by step. All that I know leads me to believe that once I concur this effort, I can enjoy sailing. I am not a trailer sailor and the boat will be moored after the bottom is completed. I am sure I am making a whole more out of this than its worth.
Looking for easing the anxiety over this issue, so any encouragement or Web Site help will be gracefully accepted.

Stepping the Mast on a Catalina 22

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
It's really not as bad as you're making it out to be. Without a big mast crutch, etc. I don't think I'd want to do it without 2 people. We trailer sailed last year, and are on a mooring this year. If we were going to continue to trailer sail, I'd definitely purchase or make the mast raising system from Catalina Direct. From your other post, it looks like your boat may already have it which will help a lot. I'd also recommend 2 or 3 people the first time if you can manage it -- one extra to help lift and one to un-tangle anything. We've only ever done it with 2, but it's easy to snag things with the shrouds no matter how careful you are, especially the first time.

With 2 people we use a home made mast crutch (2x4x8 with a plywood yolk on one end). We attach the base of the mast, and get all the shrouds so they look like they're not going to foul. I stand on the cabin roof straddling the mast and my son stands in the cockpit with the pole. The first goal is to get the mast up to a 45 degree angle or so. To do this, he puts the 2x4 with the base toward the cabin and the yolk facing aft. As I lift the mast he slides the base of the 2x4 toward the aft end (hard to describe) the end goal is to have the mast sitting in the yolk and the 2x4 vertical at the aft end of the cockpit.

Now we stop, rest, and make sure the shrouds look good. Then it's on to phase 2 -- he lifts the 2x4 and pushes the mast up, and starts walking forward and I pull from the cabin top. Once your're at 80-90 percent, it's pretty easy. When we get the mast up, he drops the 2x4 and switches places with me to balance the mast while I attach the shrouds and give them a quick initial tighten, just to keep the mast from going anywhere. Not saying this is the correct way to do it, but we've found it works well for us. And, I had the 2x4 laying around and also use it when we cover the boat for the winter.

Might also want to check out Stingy Sailor's videos How to Step a Mast Single-Handed With or Without Using the Boom as a Gin Pole