Catalina 22 gooseneck end cap scew removel

May 2, 2020
Catalina 22 Brest
Hi everyone. It's great to find a forum of C22 owners. My Catalina 22 from 1976 is getting some needed maintenance. The gooseneck fitting has been abit awry for years and I have purchased the Catalina Direct complete gooseneck refit to replace it. CD says to use the old holes as a pattern for drilling the new ones on the gooseneck. That's fine, but how do you remove the old gooseneck screws on the boom?
Has anyone succeeded in removing the 2 screws? The philips head screws are not moving. despite various screwdriver tries, hammer banging to loosen, sawing a slot and using a flathead screwdriver, many w40 soaks and more tries, random passerby muscle men breaking off screwdriver heads to help out.. but no luck.
Next steps?
Has anyone drilled out the screws? Or do you just cut off the boom end level with the old screws. Or what?
Thank in advance for sharing any real experience with this issue!

Lydie, D'Artagnan

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Just attempted to remove mine by way of installing a reef hook-- managed one with screw driver and promptly snapped the head of the second (typical me). I drilled out the snapped head -- and once out, tapped both holes for a fine thread 1/4 -28 and replaced with proper SS bolts in lieu of the legacy screws.

IMG_3533.JPG

May 2, 2020
Catalina 22 Brest
Thank you ! That helps alot. I will get to drilling the screws out.
One question, are those SS thru bolts with nuts inside of the boom? If so, how did you tighten the bolts ? I was going to use rivets.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Not through bolts — just 1/2 or 3/4” machine screws — I tapped the boom extrusion to match.