Catalina 22 crack near lock pin

Sep 20, 2020
catalina 22 pawtuxet marina
I was given this boat by a fellow sailor. I went to loosen the keel lock pin and noticed this. Is this indication that the boat hit something or was overcranked? After ~2 hours of motoring I noticed some saltwater in the bilge, but nothing too major.

Is this thing an anchor? Safe to sail like this? I absolutely love this boat otherwise! Appreciate any input.

Attachments

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
The keel mounting bolt is pretty much above the waterline in the keel trunk so you shouldn't get much water in. You could grind the crack down and glass it in.

It does look as if the keel struck something with the bolt locked I don't think overtightening the bolt could do that. I'd take a look at the keel hangers and bolts to make sure they're not damaged.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
This keel lock and the crack shown in your photo is above the water line, so it will not leak unless there is chop of a foot or more during motoring or sailing. Check during sailing or motoring if you can see water coming into the hull at this crack. Taste the water in the bilge to see if it is really saltwater!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yes, it is safe to sail, but you will likely have a persistent annoying leak. Most likely, the keel was cranked up (or down, or both) with the bolt still tight. Or like you said, maybe someone hit something. Is there a rusty "smile" gouge on the starboard side of the keel?

I'd throw the bolt away, grind off all the loose stuff, and glass it over heavily. That's low-hanging fruit along the path to owning a dry boat. :)

Congrats on the free boat!! :thumbup:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Yes, it is safe to sail, but you will likely have a persistent annoying leak. Most likely, the keel was cranked up (or down, or both) with the bolt still tight. Or like you said, maybe someone hit something. Is there a rusty "smile" gouge on the starboard side of the keel?

I'd throw the bolt away, grind off all the loose stuff, and glass it over heavily. That's low-hanging fruit along the path to owning a dry boat. :)

Congrats on the free boat!! :thumbup:
+1, no brainer & eze fix....