Cat 30 Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2005
- - midland ontario
Hi,I am curently looking to buy a Cat 30 with a wing keel, to sail in Florida &Bahamas waters in the winter,and Georgian bay in the summers. Do I need a tall rig or is standard rig OK .Question # 2, I looked at an 1988 and the owner told me he had to have the hull shaved & reglassed because of severe blistering. Was this an isolated insident or are there specific years I should avoid. Any feed back on these questions would be greatly appreciated Terry

Jim C

Jun 18, 2004
Catalina 30 Tulsa, OK
Rig vs expected wind

We just moved up to a Cat30 wing/tall rig this year and in light to moderate air the tall rig is a definite advantage. When winds get to hi teens the boat is overpowered and needs a reef or reduced headsail (we have a 155). Ours is a '93 which also had to have a blister bottom job by the PO. I think any production boat could have this issue if not maintained well. When the PO purchased the boat I think it had sat in a slip unused for several years. Good luck with your hunt. Jim

Apr 12, 2005
- - midland ontario
Hi Jim . Would you say then that northern boats that spend 1/2 their time out of the water should have less blister problems. I read someware that all the manufactuters at some point tried a fire retardent mixed in with the resin, only to find out later that this chemical dodn't harden and that's what caused the blistering, You don't hear about 70s boats with blistered bottoms.Terry

R

Rodger

purchase

I don't think that there are any boats out there that don't have some blisters. Do more research and then you can just shake it off like all of the rest of us. The tall rig is not going to change much. Smart boys go looking for a well equipped and maintained boat for a good price. Rodger

Status
Not open for further replies.