Cat 22 Swing Keel Sailboat Maintenance

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Boat is on its way form seller in New Mexico. What Deck cleaning products, detergents, brush types, Teak Maintenance, etc. should be be aware of before the boat arrives. The boat will be moored and brought to transient docks periodically to maintain the boat. I use Simple Green for everything, cars, house siding, etc. I have a 3200 psi Pressure Washer and would assume that minor haul and bottom maintenance when out of the water and on a trailer. Many site refer to Hull Finishing with Paste Wax, nothing liquid. Is this accurate. Is there a Boat Soap that works best for beck cleaning? I read that Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner works great for stains and there are other products for Rust stains form mental attachments to the deck and hull...................
We are new at this and would like to get a heads up on products I may need before the boat arrives.
Appreciate your patience

Attachments

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Congrats on the new boat - looks like a beauty and it's being delivered! You're on the right track - a scrub brush with something like Simple Green should clean the deck. The pressure washer can be used if it's really bad (the boat looks clean in the pictures).

Here are a couple of excellent articles by MaineSail on cleaning and polishing (take a look at his boat and you'll see why you should follow his advice):

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Sno Bol by brillo, blue goo that sticks nice to side above waterline scum until you can brush it lightly, great on green slime, rust, marina oil etc. contains 9 % hydrochloric acid.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
order some oxalic acid, powder on Amazon for use on the really tuff stains, I use it mainly on the hull, especially at the waterline. Mix it in a bucket with hot water, Apply with sponge, let it sit 5 min., scrub off with brush and hose off.....wear gloves and eye protection, keep it off your galvanized trailer best you can, the stuff is magic, eze to use and very inexpensive....wouldn't be without it.

Feb 14, 2019
Catalina 22 WK Indianapolis
My C-22 is kept in a slip, but I take it out mid-summer for a trip to Lake Michigan. In the spring, I power wash the hull and top sides and wax the hull before I launch. I use Maguires boat polish, but Turtle Wax works well too. Get a 10" random orbital auto polisher/buffer to make the job go much faster. I can wax the entire hull in about an hour. Never wax the top of the deck. Makes the deck too slick. I do a complete power wash (top sides, hull and bottom) when I haul out mid-summer and in the fall. If the hull is hazy, I'll wax again before I put it back in my slip.

FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) works great on hull stains at the waterline and on leaf stains in the cockpit. Just wipe it on and hose it off. West Marine has some "spider poop" remover that works pretty good on the deck dark spots. Use a bio-degradable marine soap for washing. Mr. Clean magic eraser and water works really well on smooth surfaces.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I can highly recommend "Poli Glow" over regular wax treatments. I've been impressed with its performance.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Will look that up, thanks
I have an 87' as well, and I bought it a few years ago. The fiberglass and waterline trim looked like it was all of 30 years old. I applied Poli Glow, and I was extremely impressed. People were asking if it was a new boat... no BS. It fades some over 2 years, but it's easy to apply. Good luck with your new boat-

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I use Simple Green for everything, cars, house siding, etc.