Cat 22 cabin cushions

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
I've always purchased the quality of foam I like, cut them to shape and take them to a local upholsterer, I don't know of any place where you can buy a set off the shelf, well, maybe Island Nautical in S. Florida.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Dave is on it-- rehab some used, sew your own, but the challenge is really in the foam. Cheap foam is, well... cheap. And good Foam is going to hurt. I went full pain, but completely depends on you and the boat and your lifespan with her:

IMG_0355.JPGIMG_0348.JPG

Jan 15, 2021
Catalina 22 2313 Bowleys Quarters
Thanks pclarksurf. Exactly. Been doing a deep dive on foam. The best I've been able to find is 1.9 at $550 for all 10 cushions. Thats before the fabric or the stitcher. Ouch! This has forced a careful review of rehab vs scrap. My intellect is having a raging battle with my sentiments. In the deepest reaches of my soul it is so hard to let a beautifil sailboat go to the heap.
Will post the results of that battle...soon.
Chris aka bowleys quarters Catalina

Jan 15, 2021
Catalina 22 2313 Bowleys Quarters
Thanks, Gene! you guys are awesome!
Gene, I called the foam place and they told me that the LUX foam is not water resistant. That it's "open cell" which means it can get wet like a sponge. You have any experience with that? The Foam place said they could provide a "Dry" foam that would not take on water, a bit pricier, and in smaller sheets. Would really appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks a million!
Chris (aka Bowleys Quarters Catalina)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Chris, I don't think I ever even knew that! Our cushions have only gotten damp a couple of times, so it has never been an issue. (Both times they got wet, it was while trailering the boat, when rainwater pours under the forward edge of the sliding hatch. We have since found a remedy for that: rain under sliding hatch)

I don't really have an opinion, although I suspect most people would say get the closed-cell foam. And given the magnitude of the project, I wouldn't trip over a few more dollars to get the best foam possible. "Buy once, cry once", my friends tell me. ;)

Mar 30, 2014
Catalina 22 Indiana
Gene,

We’ve been batting around the options for redoing our cushions too... so I have some follow-up questions for you:
-What thickness of Luxfoam did you use for your cabin cushions?
-Also did you reuse your cushion covers... make new ones yourself... or have new ones made?

Yours curiously,

Dave.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Hmm. I don't remember the thickness of the foam offhand. 2.5" maybe? I'm sure someone here will know the stock thickness, or I can measure ours.

We're still rocking our original covers. They were like new when we bought the boat, and are still in great shape for their age. PO's must not have used them much at all.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Catalina 22 cushions are 4 inch thick, just a little thin for sleeping unless you weigh under 100 lbs. If you are going to make new cushions do not measure the old ones, they are stretched way out of shape. Make new templates they will fit much better.

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
Check out the Stingy Sailor's page on cushions. He and his wife redid their entire set and they look slick

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
You might try re-purposed memory foam mattress pads. I searched around on Amazon, and with a little digging, found some good deals on king size foam pads, and got a read on the firmness of the foam by the reviews. I used two layers of foam, of different firmness, and the end result is a little thicker than the stock C22 cushions, but I like them better than the originals. It was much cheaper than the "foam store" prices - if you want another option.