Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harvey

Can anyone tell me what the capsize ratio of a G23 would be? Thanks, Harvey

J

John

ratio

Go to www.image-ination.com then click sail calc. It says the cap ratio for a G23 is 2.21 It will tell you alot of other useful stuff.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I don't mind displaying my ignorance

will someone please explain " capsize ratio" for me. I under stand "righting moments", "angle of positive stability" but I haven't before heard of "capsize ratio".

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
JimQ, If I read this correctly

My capsize ratio is 1.73 the screening stability value is 18.69 and the angle of vanishing stability is 156 So I guess that she is going to be hard to knock down and will come back up on her feet is she does go down.

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
OK - if you say so.

I thought the information was interesting, but way over my old head to fathom. If it's blowing stink (anything over 20 knots) on my 33 year old boat we put in the lower hatch boards, hoist a 110 jib, and throw a single reef into the main. I'm not interested in trusting a theory that says - "yeppers, you're going to pop right back up after you get knocked down". Read where it goes on about a 40 ft. boat not being able to withstand 20 ft. waves? Sounds very similar to that 41 footer Free Spirit that was lost with all hands last week off the coast of Halifax while underway to Europe.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Jimq, in 20 kts you are still way over

canvased with a single reef and a 110 jib. 20 kts blows 4 times as hard as ten kts and twice as hard as 15 kts.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
jimq, you sail in much more

sheltered water than I. 15-20 kts kicks up much rougher water than that on the Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.