capri 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerry Linderman

I am considering a capri 18 with a wing keel. Would like to know if boat is a good sailer. Such as: tenderness, pointing, helm, etc. Is boat still in production? Would the boat be suitable and competitive for Portsmouth racing. I also intend to weekend overnight and day sail. I don't want a bos. Any info would be a very helpful. Jerry

E

Erik

I like the Cap 18. It is still in production, with about 550 built since 1987. I've never had mine in winds over 12-14kts, so I don't know about it's performance in strong winds. The wing keel does make up for some lost stability that comes from having a stubby keel. I like a fixed keel boat and want a shallow draft, so the wing keel is an acceptable compromise for me. The boat is large enough for 4 adults on a day trip. I haven't overnighted on it yet, but plan to with 2 adults. If slip space, slightly less trailerability, or storage space (for the boat/trailer) isn't a concern, the Cap 22 might be better for racing. If you don't absolutely want a larger boat, the Cap 18 is fine for a pocket cruiser. It was my final choice over the WWP 19, Compac 16 or 19, and a few other older 17-19 ft boats (like Venture 17 and Windrose 18).

E

Ernie

Portsmouth Racing

Jerry, I concur with what Erik wrote. Additionally, any boat can get a Portsmouth rating...I forget the formula off hand...it can be quite complicated. As I write this I remember seeing the rating for a Capri 18 relative to other boats in some background pictures from my former sailing club. I'll look for the picture and get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.