Capri 18 or Capri 22?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott

I am a novice sailor and am considering buying the Capri 18 or 22 for family (two adults, two kids) bay/ocean sailing (San Diego area). We have sailed both on a demo basis and have liked the fact that the mainsail traveler on the 18 can be easily rigged to the stern vs.in the middle of the cockpit floor (it seems in the way for 4-6 people in the cockpit).Other than price, has anyone else got input re: the pros and cons of the Capri 18 vs. the 22? - particularly relative to handling on the ocean?

V

Vaugh Buck

Capri 18 or 22

The 22 will handle higher winds better and go through chop better due to it's larger size and greater displacment. Neither is an ocean boat. If you're going to trailer sail, the 18 would be the way to go. I have Capri 22 and love it. I singlehand on the Chesapeake Bay with no problems up to about 20knts of wind. Some rail meat would be nice. The traveler in the middle is a bit of a problem, BUT on the stern you'd get strangled by the main sheet if you have to switch sides quickly. Also, I don't think it would be as effective at controlling the slot. I don't think you can go wrong with either boat so buy the 18 since you seem to like it better. I don't think 6 are going to be very comfortable on an 18, it would be tight on the 22 unless you like to sit very close.

B

Bryan Sperling

18 or 22?

I would have to agree with Vaughn on the 22 for its length and beam. I own a 22 myself and really enjoy its roomy cockpit area. The traveler doesn't seem to be much of a problem where it is and really serves as a divider between the helmsman and the rest of the crew while sailing. Before I bought my boat I took it out for a test sail with 6 other adults. You wouldn't want to overnight with that many but we were able to move about pretty comfortably, with a place for everyone to sit. (two on the foredeck) With the 18, your loosing alot of deck area as well as cabin area, and cabin area isn't very spacious even on the 22. Your family will grow, but the 18 won't! Take the extra 4 feet now, you will be glad you did later. Bryan Sperling Texas

S

Sam Watters

Re: Capri 18 or 22

Scott, I own a Capri 18. I trailer-sail it on the many lakes her in Minnesota. I absolutely love the boat. I learned to sail on a Capri 22, and it was learning on that boat which influenced me to purchase the 18. I have found the 18 to extraordinarily forgiving when I do stupid things (I'm learning). I've had it out in some pretty gusty weather and always felt safe and stable. It is a great lake boat. My crew consists of 2 people and 3 dogs, although I often like to sail alone. Easy boat to launch, rig, and retreive by yourself. OK, that said... If I were in your position I would opt for the 22. Yes, it will depend upon how much of your family accompanies you on a regular basis. Both boats are easy to single-hand. Then it is a matter of room. I would probably feel cramped with 2 adults and 2 kids on the 22. It is really one too many people. And if you have any guests along (like the kids friends), you will regret not going for the 22. Then there is the issue of how the boats will handle the waves. I believe the 18 is a little small to be cruising around in ocean waves. The 22 would be much more stable for those ocean waves. But I seem to remember is was pretty mellow between Coronado (sp?) and San Diego. For what its worth, the previous owner of my 18 used it to tool around in Lake Superior (probably the Apostle Islands - protected waters) and seemed pretty pleased with how it handled that big body of water. (but that missing 4 feet is a big deal as you add more people).

T

Terry Sanderlin

18 vs. 22

Scott, I currently own a Capri 18 and sail it on Elephant Butte Lake in New Mexico. I have found the 18 to be a stable craft, and have singled handed mine in winds exceeding 20 knots without incident or difficulty. However, I find the boat cramped with more than 3 abroad. Also, a weight issue arises with the 18, especially when too many people are in the cockpit, which tends to raise the bow. More people also is difficult on the 18 when sailing under a mainsail reef, given the low aspect of the boom. I have never sailed a capri in the ocean, but I am aware of one individual who sailed an 18 to Hawaii without incident. Given the amount of individuals you are considering on your boat you may be better off with the 22.

D

Dan E.

How about a Catalina 22?

If you like the stern traveler but like the size of the Capri 22, I would suggest considering the Catalina 22. After all, its hard to argue with success (approx. 15,000 built to-date).

T

Tom Peckham

Capri 22 or 18

I am looking into buying a Capri 22. I'm looking for a boat that has a large cockpit. The Capri with a wing keel seemed to make more sense then a Catalina 22. How bad is it to have the traveler in the cockpit? I want a boat that can handle wind and waves when needed. My mooring is on the Maine coast and you never know what to expect. I can't quite figure out how much water is needed to launch a wing keel boat. tpeckham@avfx.com

Status
Not open for further replies.