Canvas and/or screens

Aug 29, 2019
Macgregor 26x Saylorville
I just bought a 99 26x. It has no hatch, cockpit or companionway canvas or screens. What do you all suggest I get and from where?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Well if your adventurous.....Sailrite.com. The machine will pay for itself with all of the canvas work you can throw at a single boat then you can make a little side cash on others. Check out their videos and supplies. I've found them to be cheaper than Amazon on hardware.
I have the blue/zigzag and have done the above. Restitching food Sunbrella alone has paid for a big chunk of it. Function over form is first then you figure out how to make it not look so bad....

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
You don’t need their machine for most boat work. Look for a basic machine with metal internal gears, I got one from Joanne’s fabrics. Also check out Dutch ware gear (they focus on tents and screens kits). I’ve made cushions for the cockpit, and recut a broken tent into a pop up tent for overnights.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
You don’t need their machine for most boat work. Look for a basic machine with metal internal gears, I got one from Joanne’s fabrics. Also check out Dutch ware gear (they focus on tents and screens kits). I’ve made cushions for the cockpit, and recut a broken tent into a pop up tent for overnights.
I would agree. Cushion fabric and tent material, though, isn’t the thickness of modern marine canvas. Punching through multiple layers of Sunbrilla and zipper or Velcro material will defiantly tax machines not up for the task to failure. In my research on machines I came across a lot of forum posts talking about clone machines that worked ok but if/when they failed there was no support. I broke a part on my from operator error “how thick will it sew at high speed” and had the new part at my door in 4 days free under warranty. I knew once I started I would venture off into more larger and challenging projects. This is why I went with a more robust machine with a walking foot and support. It’s all about what you want. I would at least purchase a used Pfaff or other like machine or pay someone else to do it and be done.

Last edited:

CaptVR

Nov 17, 2018
Macgregor 26X St.Petersburg, Fl.
Hi All, CaptVR here, Check your thrift stores and sewing machine repair shops. I bought a 30 year old Kenmore sewing machine basic zigzag that was totally serviced with metal gears for $65. with a 60 day warranty. I had a 65' schooner. We did a Sunbrella dodger, rain catcher, bimini, and after a huge storm had to make a new main staysail 500 sqft of 6oz material. That machine did it all with no problems at all, the main drawback, it does not have a walking foot, and on heavier, bulky work, it is hard keeping even stitches. We started doing a lot for others, and I popped for the zigzag Sailrite. A world of difference, and you do get professional results. With the Kenmore, stitches looked very good, but the $400. machine just excelled, everything looked like it came from the sail maker... The Sailrite will also go thru all sail material and leather. So if your just doing it for yourself, shop around, a good used machine will do the job. If you have some extra bucks, get the Sailrite. While cruising, we found it easy to make $4-$500 dollars for a days work restitching someone else's canvas, and sails.

CaptVR

Nov 17, 2018
Macgregor 26X St.Petersburg, Fl.
Hi All, CaptVR here again with a correction. A few years have past, the Sailrite machine is now $1000+ WOW. So for their name brand it is big bucks.
There are other import knock-offs. Barracuda and Rex. From what I understand, they are direct knockoffs where most parts interchangeable. Both with a good reputation. These run between $350 and $500

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I went the thrift store way and used a Singer Stylist 315(?) for my cushions. Marine vinyl is tough to sew on that machine.
I killed it doing things it shouldn't . But @$25 each...
Last summer I picked up a 1950's Pfaff 332 and it is amazing! All steel and crazy strong. I can sew 5 layers of sunbrella no problem. I haven't tried the vinyl yet.
If you get a used machine either do a service your self or have one done. Things get gummed up after sitting for years. My Pfaff was seized when I found it. The lubricant was what was seizing it! (It's rumored that these machines were shipped form Germany lubed with Vaseline and gasoline.) What ever it was varsole and WH40 freed it up. I lubed it after with sewing machine oil.
Works like new now. The ladies at the sewing shop seem jealous of my find.

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
I bought a base model Viking sewing machine, metal gears and it has no problems with sunbrella cushions, also did a basic sail patch with it.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Hi All, CaptVR here again with a correction. A few years have past, the Sailrite machine is now $1000+ WOW. So for their name brand it is big bucks.
There are other import knock-offs. Barracuda and Rex. From what I understand, they are direct knockoffs where most parts interchangeable. Both with a good reputation. These run between $350 and $500
Actually the Sailrite, Barracuda, Rex and all the others are knock offs of the original Thompson machine. Just the Sailrite is better executed with excellent support.