Cange the Mast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2004
- - Biscayne Bay
The mast system on the 26M seems like the way to go. But I really like the layout of the 26X better. Can the X be fitted with the 26M's mast system and would this make the boat unstable and the cost Prohibitive?

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
M mast on X

It has been done successfully by someone, but a few things to consider. The M mast is taller (30')so your X mainsail (28') will not reach the top. (new sail perhaps) The M rig requires no backstay for rotation therefore the side chain plates are further aft, you will need to install a set further aft. The M mast is beefier & heavier, more weight aloft. The headsails are the same on both boats. It is doable, and the X is fully capable of carrying the M mast & sail, but it does entail some modifications.

Jul 2, 2006
Macgregor 26M Medina, Ohio
M TO X MAST

BILL,Just to add to what Capt Kermie said.I recently bought a new 26M from Bill at Boats4sail. While we were putting the mast up I asked Bill how much a new mast for the 26M would cost.He told me a new one is around $700, thats without the shipping cost.I hope that info makes your mind up if its worth doing. By the way I recommend anyone buying a 26M to go to Bill at Boats4sail.He,s number one in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.