can rudders be moved via steering wheel when they are in upright position?

ohiotj

Mar 8, 2021
macgregor 26x marietta
Just bought a 1996 26x. its on the trailer with the rudders in the upright position. should i be able to turn the wheel and see the input in the rudders and engine?

Last edited:

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Just bought a 1996 26x. its on the trailer with the rudders in the upright position. should i be able to turn the wheel and see the input in the rudders and engine?
Yes

ohiotj

Mar 8, 2021
macgregor 26x marietta
ok thanks for the reply. this thing has been sitting for 5 years. looks like i will be getting into the steering controls.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
There may be a friction screw behind the steering wheel.

Just above center...
IMG_1686.JPG

Also, the cable may be locked up if it's been sitting in the weather.

Disconnect it from the rudder/motor so you can see what is moving and what is frozen. Motor being locked up is rare but could happen if badly neglected.

Probably the steering cable, but best to check the easy access stuff first just in case.

ohiotj

Mar 8, 2021
macgregor 26x marietta
I did disconnect the motor and it was moving free. i will get into the steering here when the weather changes over. the boat sat outside for 5 years with no use. right now it is almost fully stripped down so i will happy to check all items now instead of taking things back apart. i am keeping my fingers crossed on the wiring for lights but i am not holding my breath.