Cabin Liner removal 26s

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
Hi Guys,
Forgive the second post in one evening, but I thought it better to split up my questions. I am also considering taking out the stock ceiling liner in the bow birth (and maybe stern berth) of my 26s. I am planning to get some added memory foam for both berths (good sleep is premium for me)! Anyway I find that in both cases the liners lead to me feeling cramped and I am sure this would be worse with more padding. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to replace the liner with? Is there a paint or some other material that can be applied to the hull? Are there other considerations to this project? I also thought about trying to cut out the part that comes down and simply gluing the liner directly to the hull, but I am not sure that I am explaining that well. Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,
John

20180101_174108.jpg

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
There is styrofoam jammed in those overheads for flotation.

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
Thanks for replying. I wondered if that might be the case. Not knowing much about boat construction, I wonder if I might press for opinions on whether it would hurt flotation to move the Styrofoam elsewhere? Perhaps in the storage under the bow or stern berth or under the setees?

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Macgregor packed styrofoam chunks under the forward berth, and in the liners above the v-berth, sink, and rear berth. This is what gives Macgregors the flotation that prevents sinking even if they get capsized or flooded.
Removing the styrofoam won't affect the seaworthiness, but it will will allow the boat to sink in the event something happens to it.
People frequently remove the styrofoam above the sink for storage, but I don't know about the other areas. It's a matter of what you're comfortable with. We used to sleep in the rear berth because the v-berth was too short and narrow.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I’m converting that forward area to an anchor well. I’m measuring the foam removed. It’s pretty easy to measure as it is in 6x12x6 blocks. There were 3 or 6 cubic feet (I can’t remember, but it’s still sitting on the sole). The plan is to put an equivalent amount in unusable locations on the boat.

I’m considering putting plastic garbage bags between the top and bottom and then “inflating” them with foam. I figure the air trapped in the garbage bags give extra floatation and when I discover that it’s a bad mistake will make it easier to remove as the foam won’t be adhered to the boat.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.... We used to sleep in the rear berth because the v-berth was too short and narrow.

About our first mod was to enlarge the V-berth by taking the head out. I'm a little over 6 foot and now have lots of room sleeping. Also now there is more storage under it and ...

...at the head and sides of it. It opens up the whole aft berth for storage on long trips. There is a tremendous amount of storage space on the Mac 26S & D if just one or two people are cruising with it and the aft berth is free. In some ways more than on our 37' Endeavour.

Personally I prefer the V-berth over the aft berth as it is easier to get in and out of and like the ventilation with the hatch it has. The aft berth probably has less motion in rough conditions at anchor but I'm use to the boat moving all the time now.

I've left all the foam but have moved a little. No idea if the boat would still float or not though. We have over 40 gallons of water containers and they become empty on a trip and would serve as flotation along with other 5 gallon buckets with sealed screw-on lids we use for food and other items.

Sumner
========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Just use caution before cutting out angled surfaces as that boat gets its strenght from the whole system of hull and liners. However.. what you want to do is probably OK..

Im always surprised this doesnt get mentioned but if your boat is in a location where you are likely to see common thunder storms, some of the Vberth sleeping positions put you head right under an ungrounded 28 foot vertical conductor. When I used to keep my 26S in Colorado where T storms were very common, this was important to me. Where I use the boat now.. it probably doesnt matter much. However, that big nice aft berth is one of the reasons I really like the 26S. You cant really use all the space way to the back of the aft berth because of access but it is great for sleeping. Both my wife and I typically get up during the night and its also nice to not have to crawl over your partner.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I hate having to get in the aft birth. It just seems there is no good way to do it. Walt, do you go in headfirst or feet first, or have you developed a slide out tray ;-). Have you added any handholds or other devices to make it easier to get in and out of?

walt

Jun 1, 2007
I just crawl in backwards from the bench... not difficult even for old guy especially since the berth is slightly lower than the bench but not much lower. This picture is old as I have also removed anything and everything that gets in the way of as much room as possible in the aft bed like the DVD rack on the left as it made it harder to get in and out.

I think for one person, the V berth would be more comfy. I havent crawled into the Vberth for a long time but Im guessing you must go in head first, then turn around once in the berth.. very easy if only one person but not so easy if there is a second sleeping person and they are in front of the opening.

I almost always sleep with two humans on the boat plus two dogs and prefer the aft berth. The height of the opening isnt that much different between the two berths for getting in or out.

One other thing to mention.. I think the aft berth might be better for sleeping if there are two of you but the Vberth makes the better love shack... LOL.

bed3.jpg

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
Thanks Sumner! Fyi despite my handle, I have since moved to Salt Lake. Been sailing strawberry. Do you have any favorite Utah spots?

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Do you know anything about Jordanelle? An old buddy moved to Hideout a couple years ago and we are thinking about sailing my Hobie TI there this May..

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Do you know anything about Jordanelle? An old buddy moved to Hideout a couple years ago and we are thinking about sailing my Hobie TI there this May..
I'd take it, but Jordanelle and nearby Deer Creek have lots of power boats on them. I never saw so many boats on a lake as I have a couple times driving by Deer Creek, but the times I've gone by might of been on the weekend. Weekdays might be different.

azsailing We have only sailed on Lake Powell and Flaming Gorge Reservoir. Highly recommend both. Walt if you would be going from Hideout to Denver I'd recommend putting in Flaming Gorge if you can camp out a few days. Utah part is deep forested canyon and Wyoming part is more wide open but lots of wildlife...

http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2016 Flam-Gorg/Trip Index.html

Sumner
==========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Flaming George looks interesting and Sumner, I enjoyed your pictures.. Its down on the list for me at the moment partly because of where my boat is stored.

If you google "jordonelle reservoir sailing", lots of info comes up such as this http://sailpc.org/ or
I have driven by those lake plenty of times also.. Since they are close to population, it may be like Denver lakes.. great during the summer if you can go during the week, drive to the mountains during the weekends. I like that Park City area.

I do drive Hwy 40 once of twice a year and about half the time with the Hobie TI in tow and go by both Strawberry and Starvation. Azsailing, since you are now living in that area, what do you think about both of those lakes? I sort of have plans at the moment for an afternoon at Starvation next summer..

You are also fairly close to one of the coolest places there is to take the boat - Lake Powell. You dont go there for the sailing but for the just remarkably interesting place. You have probably seen Sumners links to trips he has done there (in his sig). A bunch of years ago now and for four years in a row, we trailered to Bullfrog from Denver and did week long outings to different areas of the lake. We always took along kayaks and explored a ton of of the side canyons. I kept a bunch of those pictures at this link http://analogengineering.com/sail/powell/

Lake Powell is still fairly high on the list for me to go back to but this time launching from the Page area because that is the shorter drive now.

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
I have power boated in Powell and it is amazing. I am actually considering storing at Jordanelle this summer. Really loved strawberry last summer (good size, loads of wind in the afternoon, nice trout) but Jordanell is closer and might allow for the after work cruise. I agree with Sumner about deer creek (way too crowded)!

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Many years ago in the windsurfing heyday, Deer Creek would be mentioned in the windsurfing mags because of a reliable thermal wind I believe flowing west (colder heavier air east in the mountains, warmer air in the valley to the west). I actually made a trip there one time to windsurf.. and did get some wind. That must have been at least 30 years ago so I guess a lot has changed. Jordanelle didnt even exist then. I think Jordenelle is a little higher elevation than Deer Creek so may not get that same reliable thermal??? But probably still a very nice and scenic place to get blown around by the wind. If it were not for the fact that I probably cant afford it (Park City area = $$$$$) and dont want to move too far away from my kids, I think a summer place near Jordanelle would be a really nice compliment to a winter place in Lake Havasu. Been thinking about that one for a while.. but probably not going happen.

I would guess Starvation is fairly breezy but remote, might get similar somewhat reliable and maybe even not terribly gusty winds compared to Strawberry?

May 18, 2017
MacGregor 26S Piscataqua
I didn't address headroom over the v-berth, but I have cut out large sections of fiberglass cabin liner on Eclipse, my Mac26S. After going at it with a sawmill, I laid in rigid foam sheets and fiberglass/epoxy over that to create a new finished surface. Topped with putty and paint.
E92DD3F1-C271-4A1F-AB11-8B0EADA134B8.JPG