Cabin cushion cleaning

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
Hello:
We recently had new cushions made for the cabin on our MacGregor 25. The cushions are all completely new and are made of Captain Navy, with a white welt trim, Sunbrella marine fabric. Unfortunately, we got hit with a great deal of rain this winter and an unusually damp cabin environment developed. Does anyone know of a reasonably sure method of getting rid of the mold stains (especially on the white trim)?? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Giro

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Read Sunbrella's official cleaning instructions - they recommend only mild soaps and cleaning with a soft brush so as to not damage the fabric. The good news is that it cleans up real well.

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
Sunbrell’s cleaning instructions are too generic and, frankly, do not really work. The white trim on the cushions have stains from the mold and are not coming clean. I am concerned about using any chlorine based products for obvious reasons. I thought for sure that there would be a variety of methods revealed on this forum. Hopefully there is an experienced sailor out there who has had this kind of problem. There are so many great suggestions for other problems.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Did you try Simple Green? Also, the trim is made of what material? I have similar cushions and for them, Simple Green, a hose and brush work great. Obviously, you can’t use bleach on the cushions themselves, but I have spot cleaned the white trim with it carefully using a q-tip — worked like a charm with no issues. That reminds me, I need to add that to “the list” for the spring...

Good luck!

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
Simple Green. Now that’s something I’ll try! I appreciate your suggestion and thank you for your input.
Giro

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
I forgot to answer your question, the white trim is made of the same fabric (Sunbrella). Just white instead of Captain Navy.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Mold is difficult to remove, plus it's white. Here's what Sunbrella says about cleaning mold:
  1. Prepare a solution of 1 cup of bleach and one fourth cup mild soap per gallon of water.
  2. Spray on entire area and allow to soak into the fabric for 15 minutes.
  3. Clean entire surface area with a sponge, clean towel or very soft bristle brush.
  4. Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
  5. Air dry.

• Helpful