C350 in mast wiring re & re

Dec 13, 2020
Catalina 350 Vancouver
Hello, I am undergoing a number of replacements and improvements on our new to us Catalina 350.
Not the least of which is replacing most of the nav equipment. Our boat did not have a wind transducer / display and we are adding that,
new radar, VHS which means new mast wiring. I am told the internal wiring conduit(s) in the mast extend lower than the pedestal conduit (deck stepped mast) such that they loop up and then down into the center conduit down the pedestal to the block below the floor in the head sink. Is this the case? A rigger informs me there is no way this can be fished down the mast and into the center conduit (say using the old anchor light wiring) as cable wont make the turn or chafe badly on the tight turn out and into the conduits.
Have any of you done this without raising or removing the mast. He says the only alternative is to create an access panel in the side of the mast. That doesn't sound to good to me. Any wisdom from experience you could share?
Thank you, Bob

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Hello, I am undergoing a number of replacements and improvements on our new to us Catalina 350.
Not the least of which is replacing most of the nav equipment. Our boat did not have a wind transducer / display and we are adding that,
new radar, VHS which means new mast wiring. I am told the internal wiring conduit(s) in the mast extend lower than the pedestal conduit (deck stepped mast) such that they loop up and then down into the center conduit down the pedestal to the block below the floor in the head sink. Is this the case? A rigger informs me there is no way this can be fished down the mast and into the center conduit (say using the old anchor light wiring) as cable wont make the turn or chafe badly on the tight turn out and into the conduits.
Have any of you done this without raising or removing the mast. He says the only alternative is to create an access panel in the side of the mast. That doesn't sound to good to me. Any wisdom from experience you could share?
Thank you, Bob
I will be replacing our radar, deck flood and all around @ the mast head. I am not sure what the cost of unstepping the mast would be in your area, but the cost/benefit of being able to all that work on the ground and yourself, if you choose would far out weight the cost of the mast step labor. Its approx $300 dollars here to lower and step the mast. I did the same job on our last boat including halyards and VHF and It was a simple task. I hate the idea of climbing the mast anymore. I do leave plenty of Jobs on the table for the yard to do, but I don’t want to spend $100.00 an hour to fish wires and mount lights and equipment. It would also be a great time carefully inspect the rigging and shelves if that was no it done @ your survey. If you are not doing the work yourself it still may be cheaper and safer for your yard to do the work on the ground.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
:plus: Pulling wire, mounting equipment etc. is sooo much easier with the mast down. And with the mast down you can update your lights if needed and inspect your sheaves.

Dec 13, 2020
Catalina 350 Vancouver
Thanks Guys. I have come to the same realization for all of these good reasons.
Very much a do it myself type so agreed, the labour cost saving will out weigh the mast re & re.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You have reached a wise conclusion.
Welcome Bob & Cherie. Congrats on the new to you Catalina 350.
How old is your boat? Boat age is not like dog age or car age.
Knowing the age of a boat helps in thinking about the boat when questions come up. Your rigging is a serious item especially in the waters like the Strait of Georgia which can go from a placid lake to a turbulent maelstrom during a days cruise.

There are a lot of things about a boat that can generate "Wants" over "Needs". Unless the boat budget has super deep pockets, spending a little time to consider the difference between Needs and Wants can save the budget from over runs.

Remember in the day, sailors when out on the water and returned safely with little more than a compass and a hand drawn chart.

Dec 13, 2020
Catalina 350 Vancouver
Good wisdom, thank you. Our "Cheeky Monkey" is a 2005 so a thorough inspection of the standing rigging is warranted. We are out of Vancouver BC and I have seen standing rigging last much longer than this but I'm in total agreement. I confess, I blurred the line badly between want and need. Now that the true needs pop up daily my focus is much more defined.