C22 nav lights...?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
So, time to spend some nights on the water, '84 C22....all lights are out, lenses crystalized, etc., have paid zero attention to this as we have been simple daysailers. Did a search here, conflicting info, that said, what is needed, what is required, and what is best bang for buck? Will trace all wiring to insure all is good, or will replace....gimme some advice guys...fixtures/bulbs/led's??

Thx
Ron

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Amazon is your friend. Search “navigation lights” and look around. I think you will find some LED deck mounted fixtures that would replace your existing one(s) at a great price.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I swapped in LED bulbs and replaced the masthead light and deck light fixtures.

Keep in mind that cheap chinese amazon led bulbs are crap. They are often factory seconds. I would rather pay more and not have to touch the nav lights for years.
(I used amazon led lamps for the cabin fixtures, but am reconsidering that)

Odds are your boat used Aqua Signal series 25 fixtures. Replacing with the same fixture but with LED bulbs makes it easy.

LEDS are not full spectrum. So a "white" led doesnt work with the bi colour lens on the bow. That is why Hella, and Aqua Signal make bulbs that are half red half green, which need to be aligned correctly.

Switching to interior and exterior LEDs was a great upgrade. The lights are brighter and we use very little power compared to the original incandescent ones.

I bought my stuff from doctorled.com, who specialize in marine LED fixtures and bulbs. Ofren made in the usa. Some they sell are actually certified to the 2NM standard

LED retrofits are becoming common.
Sailboatowners.com have aqua signal fixtures as usual but they also have led bulbs. Including the dr led brand.

catalinadirect has been mentioned... They sell a complete kit if you are inclined that way.

Some have also mentioned marinebeam in the past but have never looked into them.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
All, good advice, gotta dig into this....(dammit, shoulda done this over winter months)

LR--- boy, proud of these, only $48/each!.....I may hang a kerosene lamp on a halyard for our occasional use!!! (do they make red & green kerosene?).....

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Our nav lights are all from Catalina Direct. With LED bulbs bought from this website. They aren't exactly top quality, but they've been good for five years at a stretch, until I replace them just because. I use ordinary warm white LED's, which may or may not be legal, but they're as bright as all the other boats in any given anchorage, so ...

Amazingly, the bottom end of the steaming/deck combo light is wide open to the elements. But I sprayed the guts of it thoroughly with Corrosion Block when I installed it, and it keeps working somehow. I keep waiting for it to fail, but it never has. And I rinse it mercilessly with fresh water after each cruise.

Marine grade wire is a must, if you rewire. I found that out the hard way! ;)

This is our stuff:
Bow, stern, masthead, steaming/deck

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Gene....do all these fixtures come with bulbs, or is that addnl? descriptions don't really specify at a glance...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
They came with incandescent, if I recall. Definitely not LED unless specified.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LR....we actually have one, takes 2 D cells and is LED...wonder if it would last all nite?
The boat has no masthead light, one original steaming at the spreaders, so I may actually hang the kero, guess we're both nutz! gonna spend some time this week with the multimeter, see if it's a wireing issue or bulbs, or both....again, haven't given it any thought till now, as a daysailor most often...

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Specific to anchor light until you get one wired: Goal Zero (REI) worked fantastic overnight and then some-- hoisted it up on the main halyard/ LED and solar and rechargeable.

IMG_0335 (1).JPG IMG_0336 (1).JPG IMG_0334 (1).JPG