C22 anchor roller, am I crazy?

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
I think I remember reading in some sailing book somewhere that you should always avoid anchoring from the stern top avoid broaching? I can only think of a few conditions where that would be likely. Strong currents or big storms. Just a thought.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I think I remember reading in some sailing book somewhere that you should always avoid anchoring from the stern top avoid broaching? I can only think of a few conditions where that would be likely. Strong currents or big storms. Just a thought.
i would think that if you had a double ender that would be OK but not a flat or sloping forward stern

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The modified C28/30/34/36 anchor roller is ready to mount! :D

I had to shorten it a couple inches, then bend it, and cut the vertical sides off the bent portion - which will run down the little ramp into the anchor locker. This "tongue", as I'm calling it, will have two bolts through it so it will add a good bit of strength as well as protecting the ramp from being ravaged by the anchor chain.

(I also bedded 1/4" G10 backing plates under the the ramp and under the bow. I was pleased to learn that, including the backing plate, the bow is now 15/16" thick.)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
How did you cut and bend it ?
How heck did you get in there for the backing plates ? Take the complete access port out ?

Sep 30, 2013
I pretty much just used a 4" grinder and a vise to cut it and bend it - although a dremel, a hacksaw, a bench grinder and a wire wheel all got a small piece of the action as well. If you decide to make one similar to it, I'll be happy to talk to you on the phone about it, more in depth. But it went pretty easy, honestly.

Bedding the backing plates was a bit more (okay, a lot more) of a PITA. Luckily, I can juuust fit my hand through that forward access port! Plus I have two more slightly larger ports on either side, which I previously installed in order to rebed my bow cleats. I had to pass the larger of the two backing plates through one of those, as it was too big for the forward one.

Sep 30, 2013
Okay ... I can't BELIEVE I got these holes all drilled right, but everything lined up pretty darn good. There is still a ton of tweaking, tightening, etc. left to do, but I think I FINALLY have my roller.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
That's some fine work Gene!! Looks good and I have to thank you and CCrane while I'm here for your posts a while back about replacing the transom scuppers. I just finished up with mine tonight following you guys threads all the way. Fortunately, I found no wet plywood when I did the job and I guess I'll start looking some where else to nail down that last elusive leak....

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Looks really good! I really envy the anchor locker on the new style C22s. I have the CD anchor roller, but have yet to figure out how to make my Danforth and chain work with it. There's just no place for the rode at all, except for putting it through the forward hatch down into the v-berth.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Nice work Gene.

I figured you just marked it and bent it in a vise after trimming the sides off.
That access is TRUELY is a PITA. I had to wear rubber gloves when reaching though the original access port, because it would try take my skin off when I pulled my hand out.

Looks like it will work really well.
Need a good windy day on the hook for the final test.
About the only thing I can see what would be a nice addition is an offset roller like the CD bow roller.

Congrats on the job. Now you can have some nice rum, gazing at your roller and anchor :)

Sep 30, 2013
About the only thing I can see what would be a nice addition is an offset roller like the CD bow roller.
Funny you should mention that. :)

Originally, I thought I would cannibalize the offset CD roller for the job. But along with it being too long, it also has a much smaller "axle" bolt through it, and if you drilled the hole out to the right size, there would be very little of the roller left.

So, I pulled the new roller off, and put it on the grinding wheel for a while. It is now offset! I'll just throw some washers on the other end of it to fill the gap.

Sep 30, 2013
Oh and another thing: the holes in the tang no longer line up with the holes in the bow. This was an issue with the CD roller, but it was thin and flimsy enough that you could persuade the bolts to go through. Not so with this roller! I've had to fill the original holes with epoxy; I'll re-drill them as soon as I have the six mounting bolts all 100% torqued down.

Jul 29, 2014
Catalina 22 Guntersville Lake, AL
What is sad about this Great American Bourbon (and I hate to ruin it for some people like me) but Jim Beam is now owned by a Japanese Company Suntory! I grew up on Jim and sadly must now find another. Bourbon is the National Liquor, so American I will switch to. Anyone have a comparable American bourbon?

Sep 30, 2013
Meh ... dude, life's too short to drink second-rate booze.

Budweiser is owned by Belgians, Burger King by the Brits. My Japanese truck was made in California, and half my Harley came from Mexico. American flags are made in China, and Ben & Jerry's was sold to the Dutch a decade ago.

It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world except for Lola. :)

That said, if you really MUST leave the fold, give Wild Turkey a good long look. Not the 101 proof stuff, no need to die that fast. Just the 80. It has long been my home away from home wherever Beam was unavailable.

Jul 29, 2014
Catalina 22 Guntersville Lake, AL
Thanks for the recommendation, I like it. By the way, I am a 1983 Catalina 22 owner, purchased in December of 2013, loving the boat, and acting like a old time sailor. I really like your posts and your sense of humor, keep it up!

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I used to be a big fan of Maker's Mark but then I discovered Knob Creek so when I want a stiff drink, that's where I go.

Sep 30, 2013
Another two very excellent choices, Mr. Slim! You're a gentleman and a scholar, and a judge of fine liquor!

Frog, I'm right there with you on the timeline. We bought our boat on the 3rd or 4th of January I think, 2014. We had very briefly owned a '79 C22, but we only sailed her a few times before we found our Daydream. This time it's the real thing. I love this boat more than any material thing I've ever owned. That saying about how "the best two days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it"? That's crap. I only love this boat more and more, as more and more of myself goes into her. I will cry the day I sell her.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Gene, Most on this forum shares your boat sentiment I expect. That is our common thread, not our choice in liquid refreshments. I enjoy your candor.
Thanks, James

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Gene, any trouble getting the forestay pin in? Very nice work BTW, I might have to copy this!