C22 anchor roller, am I crazy?

Jul 23, 2015
catalina 2-34 oregon
To tell you the truth, it is the same sicko that looks all day at the boat chat hoping there is a new post. Then looks at you anchor and tries to figure our a storage place on their boat for it. So, safe travels, keep the post coming. Lol

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Here's a cardboard mockup of how it will hopefully look: :)

That's looking more like it.

I worry about the loads on the end of it while laying at anchor, due to the increased length. That said, running it down into the anchor locker would help a lot.

I was wondering about building it something like the bowsprit on Judy's Catalina 27:

Her new bowsprit

Original bowsprit

What I mean is... have it braced down to the bow eye and mount it to the top and sides of the bow. Easier to custom build too. Even could have some nice teak included. :)

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
To tell you the truth, it is the same sicko that looks all day at the boat chat hoping there is a new post. Then looks at you anchor and tries to figure our a storage place on their boat for it. So, safe travels, keep the post coming. Lol
Good! I was afraid I was the only one.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Oooo. Nice anchor. Crum. Now I gotta go look at my boat. I feel feverish.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'm starting to like this idea more and more... just forget the anchor roller all together and launch from the cockpit, just walk the remaining coil of line rode up to the bow after you've deployed the chain rode and scope of line scope you require.

Here is an interesting question... If you cleat off the rode to the stern and keep the stern facing windward, and you have roller furling, could you roll out a small triangle of headsail to act as a staysail? I think it sounds good in principal but in practice having the stern to windward just isn't very hydrodynamic, and a small triangle of headsail probably wont behave well as a staysail; the hull just probably wouldn't swing well in that fashion, just my guess.

Option 2; Like I said above, launch from cockpit and walk the coil of rode up the bow and cleat off. Make a small staysail from sunbrella or another durable but inexpensive fabric (with good UV performance). I think anyone with beginner sewing experience can make a small staysail with just a few standard sail slugs and it would be loose footed. It should be able to attach to the mast and boom without removing the Main and having it stowed under its boom cover.

Thoughts?

I have a piece of "equipment" that is still in storage, to store an anchor on my bow.

No matter how I try, I still like dropping it from the cockpit and not the bow. As these boats don't have a windlass and anchor lockers, it works fine for me. Also a snatch block allows for cockpit retrieval....

Jeff

Last edited:
May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Not a freak for sure. I have been staring at this drinking vodka. So much for hoping it was just the impeller! Enjoy your anchor.

Attachments

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I'm starting to like this idea more and more... just forget the anchor roller all together and launch from the cockpit, just walk the remaining coil of line rode up to the bow after you've deployed the chain rode and scope of line scope you require.
Even with this technique you will still probably want to set up something to make the chain stand off a bit from your rub rail and/or add some kind of protection so that the chain doesn't gouge anything. If you have to heave hard on the line it will not be easy to do that and hold it away from the hull at the same time.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'm planning on having a single arm davit to haul up and stow the dinghy motor, maybe I could work something out with that. Beyond that, If I'm going to make a custom roller I could make a stern mount version. Since I don't have an anchor locker up forward it is more convenient to launch/recover/stow from the stern in any case.

Even with this technique you will still probably want to set up something to make the chain stand off a bit from your rub rail and/or add some kind of protection so that the chain doesn't gouge anything. If you have to heave hard on the line it will not be easy to do that and hold it away from the hull at the same time.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
That's exactly why I like rollers. Easier to just pull than try pull straight up while trying to keep it away from the hull.

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
that's what they like down under too.....
Mate. Off the original topic but... I may be a transplant in the US but RUM is still the choice of honourable sailors (and probably dishonourable ones too !!) Downunder. Not the nasty 'spiced' or plantation stuff but deep, dark, molasses based nectar. Goslings, Captain Morgan (the good one) et. al. Heck, our very large yacht club was sponsored by a rum company !! Rum races every Friday afternoon. 3 litre bottle up for grabs !!

Still, any libation is probably fine. If Whiskey or Whisky is on the table, i prefer a single malt from the northern Isles of bonnie Scotland.

:dance:

Cheers !!
Milton

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Mate. Off the original topic but... I may be a transplant in the US but RUM is still the choice of honourable sailors (and probably dishonourable ones too !!) Downunder. Not the nasty 'spiced' or plantation stuff but deep, dark, molasses based nectar. Goslings, Captain Morgan (the good one) et. al. Heck, our very large yacht club was sponsored by a rum company !! Rum races every Friday afternoon. 3 litre bottle up for grabs !!

Still, any libation is probably fine. If Whiskey, i prefer a single malt from the norther Isles of boonie Scotland.

:dance:

Cheers !!
Milton
:D:D:D now that's funny when i went down i asked what kind to bring from the duty free store and they all said Jim Bean ...but one did ask for rum....really loved it down there...fairdinkum mate

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
No worries mate. Were you out in the Western Suburbs ? Bourbon's popular out there. Used to drink the stuff myself in earlier years (and i was from the Eastern suburbs !!). Learned quick and switch to rum. I'm pretty sure the membership aopplication to the Yacht Club was "(a) "Do you drink Rum ?" (b) "If answer to (a) is yes, how much ?" (c) "if answer to (b) is 'a lot' then membership approved". (d) oh, by the way, do you sail or own a boat ? :naughty:

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
No worries mate. Were you out in the Western Suburbs ? Bourbon's popular out there. Used to drink the stuff myself in earlier years (and i was from the Eastern suburbs !!). Learned quick and switch to rum. I'm pretty sure the membership aopplication to the Yacht Club was "(a) "Do you drink Rum ?" (b) "If answer to (a) is yes, how much ?" (c) "if answer to (b) is 'a lot' then membership approved". (d) oh, by the way, do you sail or own a boat ? :naughty:
i was in the southern area around Melbourne for about a month on holiday all the way from Phillip island to mates rest and north about 130 k from Melbourne got to celebrate Aussie day ...oh i i never had a bad cuppa the whole time i was there ...you are right about the application based on what i learned about people down there ...Kia Ora mate

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That's looking more like it.

I worry about the loads on the end of it while laying at anchor, due to the increased length.
Me too. It will have six bolts in a pattern about 2.5" x 7", reinforced with epoxy-bedded 1/4" G10 backing plates. But I don't know if that's enough. Or if there's a such thing as "enough". The roller itself will be 10" forward of the two forwardmost bolts.

My thought is, if there's any doubt, I'll just cleat the rode to a bow cleat and take the strain off the roller entirely.

WOW. Get help, man. There are meds that might help you!!

Mate. Off the original topic but... I may be a transplant in the US but RUM is still the choice of honourable sailors (and probably dishonourable ones too !!)
Cheers !!
Milton
Don't worry mate, Jim Beam never sails with me. This is what I keep on board. It's Haitian; will it do?

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
For reasons of convenience and safety a cockpit anchor can’t be beat. Getting an anchor in the water quickly can prevent a lot of problems. I carry two anchors, a medium size danforth in the starboard cockpit locker with chain and rode. Deploy and retrieval is easy and quick standing in the locker letting anchor go over the stern. The second anchor is a larger danfort hung on the pulpit, seldom used but available. I plan on changing the bow anchor for a plow or new type ASAP. The one Gene has is a beauty and worth the effort installing a roller to fit. In a heavy blow you’ll want to have two out in a V anyway.
James
ps. sick? very.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
My cain stays in the cockpit. I only have about 30 feet of it. More and it's too heavy. However, I run the line up to the bow before I leave the slip, cleated at both ends.

I'm starting to like this idea more and more... just forget the anchor roller all together and launch from the cockpit, just walk the remaining coil of line rode up to the bow after you've deployed the chain rode and scope of line scope you require. Here is an interesting question... If you cleat off the rode to the stern and keep the stern facing windward, and you have roller furling, could you roll out a small triangle of headsail to act as a staysail? I think it sounds good in principal but in practice having the stern to windward just isn't very hydrodynamic, and a small triangle of headsail probably wont behave well as a staysail; the hull just probably wouldn't swing well in that fashion, just my guess. Option 2; Like I said above, launch from cockpit and walk the coil of rode up the bow and cleat off. Make a small staysail from sunbrella or another durable but inexpensive fabric (with good UV performance). I think anyone with beginner sewing experience can make a small staysail with just a few standard sail slugs and it would be loose footed. It should be able to attach to the mast and boom without removing the Main and having it stowed under its boom cover. Thoughts?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
i was in the southern area around Melbourne for about a month on holiday all the way from Phillip island...
Did you see the fairy penguins? They gave us a great show.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Did you see the fairy penguins? They gave us a great show.

yes i did but they would not let us shoot pics even with out a flash .....would have loved to do that as i had a 300 mm lens in the bag ready to go i was amazed at the little buggers grouping up in there little mobs on the beach

but here is one of my favs

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I went in 1998 with my daughter. Great trip that we will always remember. Yep, those koalas are about as cute as they come.