C-400 cruising update

Apr 25, 2012
Catalina 400 Key West, FL
After 2 years cruising the Caribbean and 21,750 sea miles under the lead keel of my '01 C-400, it was time for another refit.
This time I hauled out in Key West for wax, boot strip & bottom paint (always used micron CSC) and a new Johnson cutlass bearing: blister-free bottom still. A rigging inspection discovered hairline cracks in the shroud swage fittings. With a new 410sq/ft Mack mainsail (inmast) on order, I decided to pull the plug and replace all the SS standing rigging: shrouds/stays/forestay, swage fittings, j-hooks, t-bolts and tangs. The massive Garhauer chainplates inspected and in great shape so kept them. Schafer 3100 furler in great shape--all thanks to Anthony of Onboard Rigging (Fort Myers & Marathon).
Also had my functioning but 14 yr-old Balmar 9-100 alternator rebuilt by East Coast Battery in Ft Lauderdale- great service! Replaced 75% of the running rigging. Rudder post still in great shape (since fixing factory problems back in 2003). Well maintained Yanmar 4JH3E with 5350 hours running like new but thinking about replacing engine mounts. Things to do later this year: replace dodger, some interior cushion recovering, replace stateroom mattresses and replace crazed hatches and side windows. She stays remarkably dry in weather and in big seas with the help of butyl tape and the occasional spritz of Scotch Guard. Looking forward to another 18 years of part-time cruising aboard Valiant⛵