c-354 - Looking for the owner of hull c-264

Nov 18, 2005
-Catalina 350 354 Toronto
Holo Nui(Hawaiian for fast runner) is a Catalina 350 and its hull number is 354.

North Sails has a loft in Toronto located at 41 Horner Ave. in Etobicoke and I that’s where I personally dropped off the boat’s two furling sails for a routine end of the season inspection and cleaning a couple of seasons ago and it was repeated this year.

So far so good, until we were sailing a few weeks ago and I looked up to see the large black number 264 on the mainsail. I was astonished because the mainsail number used to match the hull number and I can’t believe a cleaning could have done it. A closer inspection caused us to discover that the genoa also does not belong to us. I immediately contacted North to report the problem and was advised the matter would be taken this seriously.

The loft Manager, Hugh Beaton, sent me a note last week to confirm that North is continuing to investigate the mix-up and it was somewhat comforting to read that if “If we do not have anything by the end of the year then we will have to consider other avenues to reach a solution that we all agree is fair”, but I would truly be happier with the return of my own sails.

I contacted Warren Pandy at Catalina Yachts and who advised that if the sails had been at or gone to a Doyle loft, they could put out an "APB" for anyone that has the wrong sails. He didn’t know if North could do it and I don’t think they can because last Friday I was advised that Mr. Beaton had “reached out to three owners who have all replied that they do not own 264, and do not have 354 on their mainsail.”

I was hesitant to circulate this request for assistance because of its potential for embarrassment, but after checking with the folks at North in advance, I was encouraged o to send it and that is the reason for this dispatch.

There is, of course, another c350 owner out there with a newer and cleaner genoa and mainsail that has my number on it. I wonder what else can be done to sort out the mix-up?

Dan Brodsky

Cell: (416) 333-0304

Toronto, ON Canada