Buying a 92 Macgregor 26S pro's and cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2009
2 26S Seattle
I am thinking of buying a 92 Macgregor 26S and am new to sailing. I have been around boats all my life and spent most of my family vacations in BC fishing. I enjoy being out on the water but have very limited sailing experience. Is a Macgregor 26S a good boat to learn on and how does it differ from the 26's with the large engines?

Jansen

Jan 20, 2007
McGregor 26S Mobile, AL
I have a 92 26s. I like it alot. It is 26 feet long but seems as easy to rig and sail as my 15' Mutineer that my wife and I race (for fun). Things I like about the 26s
-Draft is only 15", can go in shallow water
-water ballast means it is light to trailer, pull with smaller vehicle like my mini van.
-like the place for the outboard and my 5hp pushes it ok.
-the queen bed in nice
-I had a Mac 25 with 600# cast iron keel, sailed fine but didn't like the maintenance on the keel, my 26s has a light swing keel that requires no painting and it tucks all the way into the hull so it can be beached easily.
-One time I got stuck in shallow water in my 26s I blew out some ballast and then just got out and pushed it easily off and away we went.
-The 26s sails fine. You can sail it on the main sail at first or when it is pretty windy.
-I like the 26s kick up rudder assemble.
-The newer 26x and m are nice too, but they are more of a motor boat and less of a sailboat. They go faster with the bigger motor for sure.

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
I agree with everything Jansen said. For me, the biggest pro is the easy trailerability and and ease of set up. The nearest lake is almost 2 hours away from here. If I was keeping it at a dock or mooring, I might choose differently, but in my price range there is no other boat this size that can do all that the 26C's do.
On the con side, the water ballast makes them more tender than a comparable keel ballasted boat. They heel quickly but stiffen up as the water ballast tank starts to rise out of the water on the windward side. I haven't heard any stories about anyone on this forum ever tipping one over. Right off the production line, there are few frills provided with these boats, but most owners add lots of upgrades. Chances are that the previous owner has added lots of goodies for you.
I think it has been a great boat to learn on, and I have learned lots from the boat and this forum. If you buy it, you will find a wealth of friendly info here. Good Luck!

Sep 29, 2008
Macgregor 26 Alameda
I have a 92 26 Classic with swing keel. We have had it for a little more than a year and really enjoy it. We sail it in San Francisco bay. It is a little small for the big wind days, but we do fine. We have rigged a reef line and added a topping lift which makes it easier to sail.
We enjoy it because we can trailer it home and save on the slip rental. We have done one overnighter on it so far. Stayed on the moorings in at angel island. Had a great time. They are great boats. Don't hesitate to buy one.

bula

Dec 2, 2007
Macgregor 26s Adelaide
I cannot think of any cons in buying this boat and the pros have been well explained by the other respondants. I have been boating most of my life and have actually gone from a 27 ft keel boat to a 93 mac 26s. I sail solo most of the time and regularly participate in club racing against other boats of similar legnths with very satisfying results. Have also done many comfortable weekend cruises as well in the waters around South Australia. This boat can be very well set up and personalised to your own liking with many great helpful ideas from this website.
Happy shopping,
Kev

Oct 23, 2008
Macgregor v22 Tacoma
Noticed your in seattle did you see this boat on craigs list? There was one with pics on there a few days ago. Looked like a very nice boat.

Nov 30, 2007
- - Spokane WA
I have a 93S that I moor on a N. Idaho lake and often spend the w/e on it. Great boat, sails as well as any I have been on - I would buy another in a minute. If you get this way - look me up - should have it in the water by early April.

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
I too agree with the others. I doubt you'll find many people on this forum who have much negative to say about this boat. For its purpose - a relatively large, inexpensive trailerable boat with shallow draft that sails well - it's hard to beat. I guess that the biggest negative is the compromises that were made to achieve the above: it's not designed for offshore passages or prolonged exposure to rough seas and wind. But so what? You don't need to make passages when you can trailer it to your destination(s).

Feb 5, 2009
2 26S Seattle
Yes I noticed that one but the one I am looking at is elswere and would require some travel to pick up. If it does fall through I am going to take a closer look at the one near bellingham.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
and....compared to the M or X = powersailors ? the original question...

-both the large motor boats are quite different in many ways. notiably the big motor and ability to do 20-25knts. but at a price.

for some the powersailors ARE better.... most here own the older, less expensive classic sail only type of mac.

you'll need to search power sailor to understand the difference...

GL!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My biggest complaints about my '92 26S are headroom and stowage. I'm constantly working on the stowage issue, can't do anything about the headroom but learn to duck. Both issues are counter to what the Mac was designed for, easy trailerability, so you either learn to accept it or find another boat.

Jun 15, 2007
Schock Santana 30/30 Richmond
I have a 92 S and love it! My family and I (5 of us) tour the Gulf Islands, and San Juans in ours, and although a little tight, we live and sleep happily on board. She has held up in rough passages, and is a pleasure to sail when the wind is 5-20. I can't say enough about what a great boat this has been for the money. We opened up the area's below the seats and V-birth for better storage access. And put a plexiglass window into the forward hatch, to give light upfront. That made a huge difference in the feeling down below. Roller furling is a must, so you can reef when the wind picks up. Don't hesitate to buy one.....There great!

Status
Not open for further replies.