Buying a 25 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
Well I am now the new owner of a 1984 M25. I will try to post a couple of photos as it looks now so you can see how much cleaning I'm going to have to do. I can pick up two ford ranger wheels with two new 205/70R14 tires mounted on them for $50. Should I past on them as they would be radial tires and not trailer tires? The sails and cushions are all in good condition as they were not stored with the boat. It also came with a 1983-84 8 or 9 horse Yamaha four stroke which looks to be in mint condition. The boat is in Maine so the first thing to do is get it ready to move it to Vermont where I live. I have a new set of wheel bearings for it. Just didn't have time to install them on this trip over to Maine.

Attachments

Jun 24, 2010
Also are there any Macgregor owners in the Burlington Vermont area? Whenever I get it ready to go in the water it would be nice to have someone who could show me how to rig it correctly and maybe help me take it out the first time.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... I can pick up two ford ranger wheels with two new 205/70R14 tires mounted on them for $50. ....
I'd pass. On the wheels do you know the offset. Most trailer wheels are centered on the center section of the rim. Car and truck wheels usually aren't so you take the chance on them possibly rubbing. I'd also pass on the tires since they are radial.

Get some galvanized rims and trailer tires. The $50 will get you started in that direction if you need them.

Congrats on the boat,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about offset. I'm going to pass on the wheels and tires and see what I can find. One of the bearing buddy's is missing so I need to pick up a set of those unless I can find someone on craigslist that has one they don't need. I forgot to check the hub while I was in Maine to see which diameter I need.

Nov 23, 2009
Macgregor 25 My Back Yard
You might also try Harbor Freight or Northern Tool for the Wheels and Rims, Bearings and Bearing Buddy. I have had some good luck with them. Do check out the Life lines, pull on them to see if they hold. My son went overboard when he was leaning on mine and it broke. Luckily the boat was in the yard so we didn't have to try our man overboard drill. LOL. Turns out the cables were rusted baddly.

Congradulations on the new-old boat. Your gonna have a blast. I have eight weeks and I will be back home from my deployment and playing with mine.

Cheers
Brian

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
I have a 1976 Venture 25 sitting in my side yard on the trailer. I live near Las Vegas. In the summer it ain't hell but you can see it from here. Your can remove and repaint the keel with antifouling bottom paint. Keel bolt and all through hull fitting should be recaulked with best product you can buy. You'll have to disassemble winches and lubricate. Check with Trailrite for proper wheels and tire size I think they are a Ford Wheel. Mine are same size as 1972 Ford Torino. The two happiest days in a man's life are when he buys and boat and sells a boat. Good luck and fair winds.

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
Trailer bunks

Based on your photos I'd replace the trailer bunks before moving it to far. I remember a guy here who punched holes in the bottom because the bunks were rotted.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I see lots of Soft Scrub in your future.:dance::dance::dance:

Do be sure to change the outboard impeller and lower end lube.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Lots of potential there! a little bleach will do wonders....
But, get good 6 ply trailer tires! Seriously, its not a place to save a buck. its only a single axle, and by the time you have it loaded it will be marginal on capacity. you can buy a complete hub, ready to go, from BOW, or wm. ebay is another good source for cheap boat parts...

easy does it on the trip back...
if you can splash it to work on the trailer it makes it much easier.

keel and hull look pretty good.

GL! :dance:

Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for all the replies. I will take a good look at the bunks before I try to move it. I checked them when I first looked at the boat and didn't see any rot but I sure wouldn't want one to fail on the trip home to Vermont. I plan to replace them and repaint the trailer once I get it home over the winter. Do I need to try to form the bunks to the hull or will they just bend and take a form once the boat is on them.The hull looks to be in good shape with no damage anywhere. The keel should clean up fine once I get it out. The owner said they always stored the boat on the trailer and never left the boat in the water unless they were using it.
I planned to change all the fluids in the motor before trying to start it. I don't have any experience with outboard motors. Is the impeller in the lower end? I will see if I can download a manual for it.
Could I use a pressure washer to get the hull somewhat clean before I start with polishing compound or is it not good to use a pressure washer?
Also the owner has not been able to find the tiller yet. I may have to find one of those or make one. Hopefully it will be turn up.
Thanks again for all the help and I will try to post with updates as the project progresses.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Careful with the pressure washer.... too much psi and you'll pit the gelkote! The home 1300 psi type at 2' should be ok. but try some diluted bleach 1st.... in the sun, it works wonders!

for a tiller, try either a post hole digger handle or wheel barrow. I forget which one fits, but one of them does, and its made from hickory and 12 bucks! (its my backup)

Jun 24, 2010
I picked up a new set of wheels, tires and wheel bearings with a new set of bearing buddy's. I plan to start the process of cleaning up the boat once the trailer is set to go. Do I just give it a good bath and then clean it with Soft Scrub followed with a good coat of wax? What have you guys found that works the best to bring a boat back after being let sit for so long? I will post a couple more photos once I get the cover off and it cleaned up some. I've got to check out the keel winch and see if it is also going to need to be replaced.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
I will check out Walmart and thanks for the info on the tires as I most likely wouldn't have looked for bias ply tires.
See? That's one of the cool things about this group: they are a fountain of information most of us new guys would never otherwise know about, and they're willing to share.

You sound like me. Seventeen days ago I found a deal I couldn't pass up: a 1978 Mac 22 and trailer for a very low price. The present owner was a commercial operator here on the island. It once belonged to someone he knew, and sat at mooring for a long time. The operator took the boat in lieu of money owed, put it on a trailer and started to go through it; but it sat from 2008 on; he was operating several boats and didn't have time for this one; and he just wanted it gone.

I was the other side of that coin. I wanted a trailer sailor I could pick up cheap and repair; so I did. Here's what I've noticed about mine so far, so you can compare it to what you're dealing with:

The keel winch was gone. What the guys told you about Northern Tool is right. I'd have gotten my replacement there but they don't ship to Hawaii, so I installed a 12 volt power winch. We'll see how that works out.

The keel is cast iron, has some marine growth still on it, but seems to move freely and correctly: or, at least as far as I can tell on the trailer. Since the keel is a critical part of the boat, I do believe I'm going to drop mine and replace the pivot bolt, unless it really looks good. (Might have been done in recent years.)

The standing rigging is there and complete: not new, but not looking bad as far as I can tell. I want mine looked at by someone more knowledgeable; you might want that, too.

The running rigging and sails are all there except for the fiddle block that goes on the aft end of the boom; the guys here have shown me where to get reasonably priced replacements; or I might make one. Doesn't look too complex.

Cleaning out the interior and washing the boat down was the first thing we did. involved removing all the innards, but wasn't too hard.

I'm working on the hull, and the biggest thing I have to deal with is a whole lot of "blisters" in the gel coat from sitting on the mooring. That's a matter of sanding, filling, and priming for paint. Not too hard, and again the guys here have given me a lot of tips on how that's done, what to use, etc. Check the posts since August.

Some of my teak wood was shot: the cabin top and companionway door sliders, for instance. I plan to make a cheapo set, but I've seen polyethelene ones available: all four for $148 a set as I recall.

The mounts where my stainless bow pulpet attaches were rotten. The PO had to take it off and repair it with wood and fiberglass. All i need to do is sand out the resin before I paint.

The hardware for my rudder mounting brackets and outboard motor mount are toast. I'm going to pull them out, reseal and reinforce the area with fiberglass matting inside the hull, and install new hardware.

Other than that, it's paint. I can paint it myself, but the thing I'm seeing is it's important to buy the right kind of paint. Two-part, and the kind with antifouling properties below the waterline. The cost of the paint will probably be my biggest expenditure in the entire restoration.

That might sound like a lot, but it's mostly just elbow grease and the expense hasn't been much at all yet.

If you got your 25 at a good price, I'm thinking you will be able to get her up and running for a fraction of what she'll eventually be worth. Everyone I talk to says MacGregors are good boats, and a good investment.

Good luck with your new project!

VBR,

Pat

Jun 24, 2010
I have not been able to check the top of the cabin yet to see if it needs any repairs as there is a hornet nest under the cover somewhere and they were not very happy when I jacked the trailer to pull the one wheel and hub so I could check out the wheel bearings. I was able to get inside and it doesn't look too bad. Nothing a good cleaning shouldn't take care of. I don't remember seeing the porta pot but it did smell like it may still be in there. :) The paint is peeling on the upper cabin which I think I may just sand down and repaint. Hopefully I may get a chance to put the mast up and check all the rigging. I'm an aircraft tech by trade so inspecting or replacing the cables should not be a problem. That may just have to wait until I get it home to Vermont.
I saw your post about the electric keel winch. I would be careful with it until you can get a limit switch installed at least in the up position or it could be very easy to do some damage to your hull by pulling the keel up to far. Good luck on restoring your boat.

Jul 29, 2010
My V25 has Ford Wheels. If the trailer was built Trail rite out of Santa Ana Cal chances are they will be the same. The spare from my '72 Gran Torino fit. WElcome to the fraternity of wind junkies. Fair Winds, Old Salt.

Jul 29, 2010
DON'T wax anything above the hull line. You won't have any traction and a busted tailbone can ruin your sailing day.

Mar 16, 2009
Mac 25 Half Moon Bay for crab season
Jun 24, 2010
I finally got over to Maine again and started getting the boat ready to move to Vermont. The trailer now has a new set of wheels, tires and wheel bearings as well as bearing buddy's. The bunks have no rot and are in good shape but I will plan to replace anyway once I have the boat home and can get it off the trailer.
I got the covers off and killed all the hornets and cleaned it up some. Still more to do but thought I would post a couple of photos for you viewing pleasure. Thanks for all the help so far.
The mice did a number on the rails for the hatch. I saw on another post that someone had made his own rails for the pop top and hatch but have not found his photos again. If anyone has a link to the photos please let me know as I would like to contact him to see how he did it and what he used.

Attachments

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
I have read of several who replaced these. Some used teak, some used the plastic deck material from Lowes. -Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.