buying '81 Hunter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

Sep 17, 2009
Precision 23 Moraine
buying '81 Hunter 22! Towing it?

Hi Folks,

I'm about to buy an '81 Hunter 22. The boat is in wonderful condition with a like new interior and a top side that looks much younger than its years. I've looked at other boats and can say that the only other boat I'd consider is the Precision P23 if I could find one in as good shape at a reasonable price. (I'll probably pay $5,500- $6,000 for the Hunter.)

One question, I will tow with a 4Runner (5,000 lb. T.C.) 6 cyc.. Most of the time she'll be docked. I'd like to trailer it to Delaware a couple of times a year from Western PA (300+ miles). I'd keep it light possible (no gas, food, ice, etc., etc..

Thoughts? Input?

Gene

C

Capt Strain

I also have a 1981 Hunter 22 and on the dual axle trailer it weights over 3700 pounds. I pull it with a Dodge 1500 4x4 with a V-8 and towing package. Thats a lot of weight to be pulling with a 6 cylinder engine, but that's only my opinion. Perhaps you should post this question in a Toyota forum as well.
Fair winds and good luck, you're getting a great little boat that should bring you tons of enjoyment.

Gene

Sep 17, 2009
Precision 23 Moraine
Thanks a lot Capt Strain for your reply. I think the Hunter is an excellent choice. Now, if I had the 8 cyl. 4Runner, I'd be in business. Its towing capacity is 7000 lb. I will check the 4Runner forum.

Thanks again,

Gene

LDM

Mar 21, 2009
Hunter 22 North Creek, Bath, NC
You can't go wrong with the H22. It's simplicity and ease of handling are a joy. I pull mine with an F-150 4x4 with the 5.4 V8. The load is all it wants and all it can stop. Mine was towed out of the hills from Smith Mountain Lake in VA and towed 200 miles without a problem. Good luck and enjoy the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.