Buying 1985 Mac 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Thanks again guys. I used to reef on the Capri 18, so it's not a big deal, just have to learn the details, which are different for the Mac. I will invest in the single line reefing system though...
As to the outboard, I understand the raising part using block and tacle, but how do you lock it down? Just hang over the transom and try to tighten the thumbscrew? I'm seriously considering investing in a new spring-loaded outboard mount. OR rigging something to update the existing one.
As to the mainsheet I think I have an idea of using a fiddle blog with a cleat set up and attaching it to a line running between two deck blocks of the original system. That way I could use the existing system like a dummy traveller and only need to invest in a fiddle block with clam cleat ($69) to make it quite workable mainsheet.

Also, the electric panel has been moved next to the keel winch, which explains a complete mess of wires all over the bilge. Haven't tried it yet, because I need to buy a new battery.

Finally, the boat came with a third sail - a very tiny jib-like affair that has a sleeve instead of hanks. and VERY short sheets. No idea what to make of it. Frankly, I don't think it belongs on Mac, unless I'm supposed to rig a second forstay.... Any ideas? The dimensions of that thing are about 9.5; 7.5; 14.5ft. Unless it's a weird trysail? but how would I use it???

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
As to the mainsheet I think I have an idea of using a fiddle blog with a cleat set up and attaching it to a line running between two deck blocks of the original system. That way I could use the existing system like a dummy traveller and only need to invest in a fiddle block with clam cleat ($69) to make it quite workable mainsheet.
Here is a diagram of the original main sheet setup.
Frank

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Sounds like it came from a small boat with a main sail that just slipped over the mast, I have one someone gave me before they realized how big a 25 foot mac is.

Finally, the boat came with a third sail - a very tiny jib-like affair that has a sleeve instead of hanks. and VERY short sheets. No idea what to make of it. Frankly, I don't think it belongs on Mac, unless I'm supposed to rig a second forstay.... Any ideas? The dimensions of that thing are about 9.5; 7.5; 14.5ft. Unless it's a weird trysail? but how would I use it???

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I don't lock it down, just keep the nut snug.

As to the outboard, I understand the raising part using block and tacle, but how do you lock it down? Just hang over the transom and try to tighten the thumbscrew? I'm seriously considering investing in a new spring-loaded outboard mount. OR rigging something to update the existing one.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Here is a diagram of the original main sheet setup.
Frank
Thanks, Frank. I've seen this diagram in your other posts and that's exactly what I have, but I don't like it. Here is what I'll do. On your diagram, take the bottom line and stretch and attach flat between the two deck blocks. Now, to the middle of that line, attach a fiddle block with a cam cleat and run the mainsheet line from the block attached to the boom down to the fiddle block. If I want to use the horizontal line (between the two deck blocks) as a traveller, I just fasten the fiddle block so i does not move, and adjust the horizontal line as needed.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Sounds like it came from a small boat with a main sail that just slipped over the mast, I have one someone gave me before they realized how big a 25 foot mac is.

Don't know, the diameter of that sleeve is maybe an inch. Awefully think for a mast. More like it should go on a forestay. And it's got a window, which tells me it's a jib.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
I don't lock it down, just keep the nut snug.

Doesn't that create a wear and tear on the bracket??

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Beware of fouling the tiller.
Thanks, Frank. I've seen this diagram in your other posts and that's exactly what I have, but I don't like it. Here is what I'll do. On your diagram, take the bottom line and stretch and attach flat between the two deck blocks. Now, to the middle of that line, attach a fiddle block with a cam cleat and run the mainsheet line from the block attached to the boom down to the fiddle block. If I want to use the horizontal line (between the two deck blocks) as a traveller, I just fasten the fiddle block so i does not move, and adjust the horizontal line as needed.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
You might try to lay it out on the ground, If the sleve and the foot are 90 degrees then it is a main, If not it is a jib.

Don't know, the diameter of that sleeve is maybe an inch. Awefully think for a mast. More like it should go on a forestay. And it's got a window, which tells me it's a jib.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
caguy, how much foam did you need to redo all of the cushions?
If the 2'' foam you have not is not deteriorated I would buy 1'' foam and adhere it to the existing foam. It is much cheaper than buying 3'' foam. As mentioned in an earlier post the grade of foam density and compressibility is important. You will want to wrap, what ever foam you end up with, with Kapok. That will give you another 1'' of cush and make the whole thing much more professional looking. The one that I bought was 1" thick 60'' wide by 30' long. I bought it down town in the garment district along with the foam.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
If the 2'' foam you have not is not deteriorated I would buy 1'' foam and adhere it to the existing foam. It is much cheaper than buying 3'' foam. As mentioned in an earlier post the grade of foam density and compressibility is important. You will want to wrap, what ever foam you end up with, with Kapok. That will give you another 1'' of cush and make the whole thing much more professional looking. The one that I bought was 1" thick 60'' wide by 30' long. I bought it down town in the garment district along with the foam.
The foam is not bad, but stinks of gasoline. I guess I'll wait untill February and then decide.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
That give you time to look around. There are really no inexpensive vendors of foam. Even in the garment district it still runs about $40 for a 3 x 24 x 84 inch piece.
I replace the one on the Cat 27 with foam that I removed from a sofa left on the curb. The cushions were in good shape but too thick. I started to split them and found that they were made of two haves that sandwiched a different type of foam. The turned out to be about 3" so I added a 1" layer of new foam it using spray adhesive. I wrapped it the Kapok and they look great.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
One option on the foam is .....

http://www.foamreplacement.com/index.html

....where we have bought all of our foam for the V-berth, cabin and cockpit. The nice thing for us is the free shipping.

We used 4 inch Lux Foam high quality for the V-berth and 3 inch for the cabin and 3 inch dry fast for the cockpit.

We haven't had any problems dealing with them and they will cut to any size or even custom cut. I had never used an electric carving knife to cut foam before, but did for the boat and I couldn't believe how easy and accurately you can cut the foam with a less than $15 knife.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
OK, we ordered the first sheet of 3" DryFast foam for the setee. The rest I'll try to air/rinse to get the gas smell out and then we'll add 1" to the v-berth (the foam is in the best shape there) and see what happens.
And now for something completely different - the sails. With an exception of a few days in early spring and fall, the winds on Chesapeake hardly ever get above 10 knots. Also, the most sailing we'll be doing involves short day hops with a lot of course changes. The question - should I get a Genoa (say, around 119% or so) or a reacher (about 150%). The reacher I'm looking at is likely NOT a drifter. What would be more practical for the Mac? The Genoa I'm looking at is about 1/2 price of a reacher ($245 vs. $495).

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I had and would get the 150 genoa. An asymmetrical works well but is difficult to tack, deploy and retrieve. A 150 genoa on a furler is more versatile.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
I second the big genoa on a furler idea from caguy. I will roll it in just enought to clear the rigging when tacking and pull it back out.

Frank - I think I will go sailing in my back yard! :cussing: Rain!!!

Happy New Year All! :dance:

Bob

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Ok, guys, let me explain. I do not have furling system and I'm not planning on buying one. I found a used hank-on genoa (120%) and a used reacher (150%) at prices listed above. Although the reacher is larger and, presumeably, is an ok sail for all kinds of conditions, I'm not sure how it would stack against a 120% genoa. Also, it's likely the only sail I'll get other than the jib and main. Thus, I'm looking for an opinion which sail would be more versatile taking the prevailing conditions in which I usually sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.