Bulkhead Mounted Compass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Hey folks...I'm looking for some opinions on compasses for our Morgan 28OI, the Merry Bee. We currently have a bulkhead-mounted Gemini compass - methinks it's the original - and after 30+ years, it's time for an upgrade. I'm looking at the Ritchie BN-202 Navigator, but I also saw the Suunto B116 during my search. They both LOOK nice, but I was wondering if anyone has seen or used either - or both - of these units and has opinions as to which may be better and why? Thanks for your input! Jim Maroldo Ocean Gate, NJ

Jun 4, 2004
Sailboat - 48N x 89W
How about Plastimo

I liked the Plastimo “Contest 101" Compass, which allows viewing from both sides of the bulkhead (cabin & cockpit). It's cheaper than the Ritchie, and about the same price as Suunto.

May 25, 2004
Oday 25 Tampa Bay
rebuild

You mention an upgrade but if it is faded or the fluid has leaked out you can have it rebuilt and have it look and work as good as new. You won't have to worry about getting it to fit in the same spot. Rebuilding it won't save you much/any money but you might want to keep things as orignal as possible, good luck, jack

Mar 1, 2005
Hunter 34 North East, MD
Compass gimbal

Jim, be sure you understand that those bulkhead compasses have internal gimbals that have a heeling limitation. When hard over, the card will hang up and not turn. I found out the hard way when I installed a BN-202 in a customer's water ballast boat. Had to revert to the Ritchie Saturn, which has a fully gimballed (free pivoting) mechanism inside it. S/V Intrepid H34 #113

R

Rich

Another vote for Plastimo "Contest" 101

I'm with Gord, I was impressed with the utility of the Plastimo Contest 101 where you get to see the compass from the inside of the cabin as well as the outside (helps keep the galley chef in the game!). It actually has a light inside for night use that you don't have to hook up if battery power is a problem, but it's a nice option. I remember the price being pretty reasonable, perhaps $120...

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
ditto: plastimo contest

that's all you need

Jun 4, 2004
Sailboat - 48N x 89W
Reef over 45 degrees

At anytrhing over 45 degrees of heel, it’s time to reef. The "101" is good to 45̊ when heeling, 35̊ when pitching.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
compass upgrade

Thanks allot for all of your great info! To Jack: I realize I probably could have the Gemini rebuilt, but the plastic bezel is cracked in a number of places (the boat is over 30 years old now, and I think this is the original compass!), so it probably wouldn't be worth bothering. As for the plastimo 101, being able to view from both sides is a cool idea, but it looks like it's too small to fill the hole in the bulkhead. And to John, you make a good point, but we never heel the Merry Bee more than 30 degrees anyway so I don't see that as much of a problem. Does anyone have any experience with the Suunto units? They LOOK nice, but I can't find any reviews or comments from anyone... I wonder why? Thanks again guys! Jim

R

Riock A

try ebay

Lots of compasses out there and all will do pretty much the same thing. The key is to make sure that there is nothing metal near the mounting that will affect it. I've seen several good deals on ebay.

D

David

Ritchie Navigator

My wife bought us a Ritchie Navigator two Christmasses ago. Our Pearson 26 has a 12 degree angle to the cockpit bulkhead and I ordered from Ritchie a 5 degree teak doughnut ($79.00) to fit behind it. I found out that was not enough because the gimbals kept hanging up and the card would not turn. I had to make a 7 degree box to make the compass stand vertical. A lot of work but it is beautiful, works fine, and I get a lot of compliments on the mounting. David

Status
Not open for further replies.