Bow pulpit question

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
Hello all,

I've removed the bow pulpit from my '82 Catalina 22. Clearly was not original equipment- I'll post pictures later. There are extra holes drilled for mounting and you have to really squeeze and stretch the 'legs' to get it to line up.

I'm searching for a replacement and my main question is whether the bow pulpit mounting changed over the different designs of the Catalina 22-- in other words, will any Catalina 22 bow pulpit fit any Catalina 22?

When I post my pictures I'll ask you to give me guesses as to what boat my current pulpit may have been made for.

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
P2250389.JPG
Here is a picture of the pulpit after I've removed it. you can see how much out of alignment it is. You really have to manhandle it to get the screws in.

Th
P2250388.JPG
is picture shows teh extra holes that have been made to accomodate this pulpit.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I think that's normal. Mine was that far off when I rebedded it. The potheads in the factory were sloppy with the drill, too. you should have seen the mess under my stem fitting.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I think that's normal. Mine was that far off when I rebedded it. The potheads in the factory were sloppy with the drill, too. you should have seen the mess under my stem fitting.
That looks about like mine did too. Oooh, bringing back bad memories...

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
It's normal to have to push and pull a bit to align the holes. The pulpit is made in a fixture but the heat from welding causes some distortion.
- You have the original bow pulpit for sure.
- in the pictures you show, picture 1 shows the forward feet nearly in the right position over the holes. Hard to tell, but it appears you have one screw in each leg and they are close but still not in correct position.
- second picture, front legs are too far back; you should not have drilled the extra holes.

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
All: thanks for the replies; it is nice to know that many pulpits aren't a great fit. I'm not sure this one is original, someone sawed off a metal tab at the front top rail that probably held a bow light (navigation light) and I don't think the original C-22 had that feature since the bow light (navigation light) is on the deck.

Another reason I don't think it is original is all the extra holes that were drilled in the deck for this pulpit, I assume some were from the original pulpit and some to make this fit.
(CD- sorry for the confusion, the second picture was with the pulpit moved back so you all could see the extra holes that I found. And although it looks like there are screws in front 'feet', there aren't- again my poor picture taking).

In any event, I'll likely keep using it since the push/pull/stretch to make it fit seems to be 'normal', although I may have found a replacement- I'll have to see if it would fit better or not.

You all have probably saved me some money -- that's a rarity when I'm working on this boat! (but golly its fun)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Re-bedding it will be tricky since you can't just set it in place and tighten. Good luck!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
There were different bow pulpits for the various versions, however slight they might appear. Follow WEST epoxy's advise on their web site on how to properly bed hardware on a fiberglass boat. I don't drill any hole on my boat without following their years and years worth of advise. And slowly I'm rebedding the factory installed hardware correctly also. We sometimes tend to forget that our beloved C-22 was built with economy in mind, and needed to compete with other manufactures, many of which are now out of business. These boats were not built by old world craftsman who build violins in their spare time......

Don