Bow Cleats

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

We're putting our 22 on an ocean mooring next season & I'm not confident that the standard nylon bow cleats will be sufficient to hold her safely. Any suggestions on what size and style to upgrade to ?? Any other suggestions for a secure mooring for the 22 with a swing keel ? Thanks for any thoughts...

R

Rico

backing plate

My era ('72) 22 has seen a lot of years and, periodically salt water and the nylon cleats are still in great condition. The real lacking was in the backing plates for all thru-deck fittings. Each bolt was merely given a washer. Consider beefing up not just the cleats but also the lifeline mounts and winches. I would suggest fabricating a single plate from metal or 3/4" plywood that accepts all bolts for the fitting it backs. Give it plenty of shoulder. --Rico

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Rico hit it on the head

If you're looking at one cleat taking a lot of strain & punishment, definitely add that backing plate. Metal would be "best" cuz there's no chance of rot typical to wood. I'd definitely beef up the cleat to bronze or stainless. Something good & hefty - what's the point in taking a chance when you could have peace of mind for $20! LaDonna

J

Jim D

Question for you

We too are putting our Catalina in the ocean next season. Wondering what type of foul bottom paint will you be using and how are you planning to get all of the swing keel? Thanks.

S

Steve

Bottom prep

Regarding the question on bottom paint & the keel, I will admit that we had the boat yard do the work; One of the four bolts holding the keel casting assembly had no head (previous owner?)so rather then chance a screw up, we decided to have the yard do the extraction & at the same time, drop the entire keel, inspect and replace parts as needed, and redo the finish on the keel itself before reinstalling. The keel was rough sanded, a "rustlok" primer applied and then Interlux bottomkote. The hull had been done by the previous owner. We'll see how it works by next July !!! I plan to pull her several times during the season to keep track of what's going on below !!

Status
Not open for further replies.