Bound Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
I was trying to beat to weather in about 12-15 knots with my 110% and a full main. Every time I would try to sheet in the headsail, the sheet would bind on the winch. After about four 360's and the loss of my fingerprints I had to drop the headsail! I have sailed in that much breeze with the 110 before and don't remember having such difficulty. I think the problem is that the block that leads to the winch is too tall and the sheet feeds into the top of the winch. The block is attached to a track that runs the length of the cockpit. After sailing on other boats I have come to believe that the block I am using for the headsail is better suited for a kite. I am just curious as to how other 25's have your headsail sheets rigged. I just put on all new standing/running rigging and added a new 9.8 4-stroke in prep for the season on SF Bay. I am trying to avoid this situation in the future, particularly when my girlfriends parents are aboard!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Two wraps is all you need on your winch.

If you wrap more than that, it crosses over it self and binds on the winch. I usually do two wraps and then sheet in the jib. If it is really blowing, I may take a third wrap after the jib is sheeted in. r.w.landau

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Bound up

As I come about, I usually take two turns around my winch to remove the slack from the new working sheet after I release my other sheet by un-snubbing it, (I use clam cleats behind my winches for snubbing) and unwrapping the sheet by pulling the sheet straight up off the winch. When the boat has settled on the new tack, I pull the sheet up to where I want it, and take one more wrap on the winch and snub the sheet. I use a total of three wraps. The important thing is to let the other sheet run free so that the Gennie can swing over, and to take the slack out of the new working sheet, so that the wind doesn't blow it out of position before you put your final wraps in. On days that are extremely windy, you could put one wrap on the winch, pull the slack out of the sheet, and add two final wraps and give it another pull to get it where you want it, before snubbing the sheet. Give this a shot and I think that it will work for you. Joe

Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
Once, twice. . .

That's what was so frustrating about the whole thing. After the first initial bind and re-wrap I tried one wrap around the winch to haul in the slack then added another to grind and HALT! The same thing. That is what made me question if the block that I'm using is really for the jib sheet. There are four holes (the shape of a bolted block) on port and starbord just forward of the cockpit, specifically on the little 'step' that seperates the deck from cockpit. The block that the jib sheet goes into now is literally one foot away from the winch. I have searched the photos of 25's to try and see what other rigs look like under sail and can't get a clear shot. -Gerard

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Bound up

It could be a height problem, Gerard. You're going to have to experiment with the height of the sheaves, or change them to something else. O'Day 25s are a pretty popular boat. You may be able to visit a couple of marinas and find one tied to a dock. Take a couple of pics, get some measurements, and take a few notes. If the owner is present, I'm sure that he would be glad to help you out with this problem. Good luck with that. I'm sure that you'll find a solution soon. Joe

Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
The toe rail

Thanks Joe. I wish I saw more O'Day boats in my area but they are pretty scarce out here on the west coast. I did see some photos of a sheave on a track bolted to the toe rails though. I think I might explore that route. Do you know if I would have to do any reinforcing of the toe rail or maybe I'll just add more screws? Cheers

hcjiv1

Apr 15, 2007
- - Belhaven, NC
Pic of my jib sheet setup

Here's a link to a picture of my boat. Just past my daughter you can see the winch with the cover on. There is a cleat directly in front of her and a traveler track behind my elbow with the block and traveler just aft of the picture. The sheet runs from the gennie aft to the block and then back forward to the cleat. To sheet in I uncleat and take a couple of turns around the winch, trim the headsail and then recleat it. With this setup the sheet stays low and doesn't bind on the winch at all. -Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.