Boom Furling mechanism for Monsun 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blaise Warren

Has anyone else had recurring problems with their boom furling system on a Monsun? Ours frequently will not lock in place, making a rolled reef impossible as the pressure of the wind causes the boom to unlock, roll, and unfurl the mainsail. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the system? Alternatively, is anyone aware of any Monsun masts that I could use to take all or part of a working roller reefing mechanism? Many thanks, Blaise Warren

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
My Tartan 27' was built with boom mainsail

roller furling capability. Most owners of T27's have moved over to jiffy reefing as it is just as easy to do and it works well and is certainly a more universally accepted system for reefing the main than on boom mainsail furling.

K

kees mulder

furling mechanism

We heve the same problem with the rolling system on the boom of my monsun. The furling system broke this summer in of course heavy wind conditions so i had to go on deck to lower the mainsail which gave me an unsafe feeling The action i will take is to fit a new boom on the excisting mast with two reef lines. Selden confirms that it is possible. To repair the old system will not be a sattisfied solution i think. Like to hear if you found a solution in the meantime. kind regards kees mulder

Status
Not open for further replies.