Boating in Shallow waters-basic skills with the MacGregor26M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2010
MacGregor 26 Brownsville
Recommendations to navigate in shallow waters with Mac Gregor 26 M, I'm in the southern part of Texas in the Laguna Madre (Gulf of Mexico) waters between 7 and 10 feet and strong northerly winds. We have the ICW, but the problem is to reach the center of the channel. What is your experience and appreciate your recommendations.Gracias y SALUDOS AMIGOS!!
silvercharlio:)

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Re: Boating in Shallow waters-basic skills with the MacGrego

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is it a problem to reach the center of the channel?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl

I SAIL in 4' often, 5-6' all day long. 7-10' is not an issue.

-What is the issue again? you need a depth finder? missing the point....

Oct 22, 2010
MacGregor 26 Brownsville

Thanks for your answer and question Robspan...the problem is very shallow waters to reach the chanel, frecuently I spend a lot of time to navigate, stuck in the mud with the "help" of the wind and I need off the motor. My question is know the basic skills and do navigate with the MacGregor 26 in less than 7 foot deeps.
Thanks you very much for your comments and help. The begginer sailor. silvercharlio.

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx

Get some good charts, actually the fishing charts, "Hook & Line" are pretty good because they are updated by fishermen. They are available at many sporting good stores.

A GPS helps a great deal and of course a depth finder. I also have a lead weight on a line with one foot markings for the very shallow areas. The depth finder looses a lot of it
s accuracy under three feet is seems.

With my depth finder I don't worry about waters more than 4 - 5 feet deep.

Another helpful item I have with a Mac26s is an air compressor. It's the type to blow up air mattresses not tires. (high volume not high pressure)

When you do get stuck in the mud, just blow out the water ballast and motor out. (You shouldn't try to sail without the water ballast)
(I am assuming the Mac26m has a similar air vent that would allow you to blow the water out your water ballast valve)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2010
MacGregor 26 Brownsville

Thanks for your coment Mr Bill FLL, what is your opinion of the ruders and fill the ballast. I try to apply my common sense. I apreciate all our coments and your help.

Oct 22, 2010
MacGregor 26 Brownsville
Mike B1026..Thanks you very much for all your recomendations...My M26 have a valve near the motor in the stern and in the bow I can feel with my finger when the ballast is full.... I understand in your recomendation ..put air in the stern valve to empty the balast??
I apreciate all your coments and help...and your great recomendations very good your depht finder ( weight line and the marks of depht), I am going to do it also. silvercharlio.

Attachments

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl

good advise on the high volume, low pressure type (mattress) inflator.

I'm guessing leaving the marina or ramp you need to travel over some shallow waters.

-do you have the balast full? and are you motoring?

IIRC, the newer M's don't need rudders or balast to motor.

So if you are getting stuck with no rudders and no balast, you'll need a new route to deeper water. (with no rudders and no balast the boat should draw less than 2')

-a gps would be the best solution. Once you find a good route, mark waypoints, and run that course every time.

what kind of bottom and how far do you have the shallows?

I've 'heard' of some people dredging a 'channel' with a pressure washer... another option is to use the engine, anchored fron the stern. depending on how much water you need... (just don't get caught!)

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada

Hola Doctor Lozano. No advice just Feliz Navidad Y prospero Nueve Annos. Via Con Dios Hermano. Fair Winds and Full Sails, (and no sandbars)...

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X

OK, I have a suggestion that I follow myself. When in very shallow water all fins up and steer just with the engine, it is a bit squerrly but doable. If the water is safely just above 42 inches 3.5 feet and you need your rudders down to steer with you had best have the daggerboard down 30 inches, that is how far down below the hull the rudders reach (I have measured them). At low speeds it is better to have the daggerboard stall you because the ruddders are flimsy enough to break if they hit bottom and stop you whereas the daggerboard may stall you instead of breaking and save the ruddders and your steering. You can set the daggerboard level with the hull bottom in the driveway then measure about 30" of daggerboard line and mark it for future reference. I do not go in shallow water with ruddders down unless the daggerboard is also down at least 30" and I also go very slowly. It would be nice to have someone at the bow watching the depth and hollering back if something sticks up from the bottom.

Oct 22, 2010
MacGregor 26 Brownsville
Capt.Kermie and Freedom77

Capt. Kermie. and Freedom 77
Thanks very much for your recommendations.
Next thursday I am going to the Laguna Madre and I am very happy with all the coments and new knowledge to put in practice.
I apreciate continue comenting.
silvercharlio...(the beginner sailor).:dance:
Freedom 77...saludos y gracias por sus buenos deseos.
FELIZ NAVIDAD Y 2011 CON MUCHA SALUD.
dr.c.lozano.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.